problem with ph neutralizer

Users who are viewing this thread

tfasbind

Reaction score
I've been having a problem with (what appears to be) calcite particles appearing in my toilet tanks and bathtub. I have an upflow ph neutralizer system.
First I installed a reusable sediment filter on the house side of the ph neutralizer, but it clogs up too frequently.
I talked with a local filter guy that told me that my ph tank head probably didn't have a filter on it (which it didn,t) so he recomended replacing the head with a one which incorperates a filter (which I did).
Now, whenever we fill the bathtub, it clogs up the ph tank head filter and reduces flow to a trickle. Even if I fill the tub up slowly I still get some sediment in the sediment filter down line from the ph tank.
My regulater is set at 40-60 and tank at 38. I have the calcite top level at 16" from top of 10x54 tank.

Would a downflow system take care of this problem?

I talked to an online supplier who suggested using a Fleck 2510 sxt on a 10x54 tank calcite only.

Would this system be adequate?

I have a 1" supply which feeds the main house (3 to 4 people 2 1/2 baths) and a cottage (1 person 1 bath). The pressure tank is fed from a 1500 gal. holding tank with a 20 gpm pump.
Well recently tested at ph-6.5, iron-0,mag -0.041, cloride -100, hardness -4,alk -4, tds -55 .

Also, the tank is located in the well house which is outdoors and no convenient drain.
Since I'm only adding calcite to the water, can I drain to the ground?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did you just add some calcite to the tank?
Even with the up flow there the need of space between the media and the top of the tank.
Even if there is an upper basket to much media is still to much media.

tfasbind

Reaction score
I did just clean the tank and refill with gravel and calcite when I changed the head to one with a filter. The current media level is @ 18" from the top of the tank ( which should be well within the proper range of a 10 x 54 tank ). That level is down over an inch in @ a week.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Level sounds good.

When the valve went back on did the distributor go into the center hole of the valve? is that O ring in that hole good?

Did the distributor get cracked ? that could be a challenge in that the water coming out to high and then mixing it up just under the media level and not at the bottom where the gravel is at..

tfasbind

Reaction score
Can you think of any way to check that without taking the head off? I'm afraid if I take the head off it will pull the distributor lower filter out of the gravel bed and I don't want to remove all of the media and refill if I don't have to.

tfasbind

Reaction score
I bought it from a local water treatment supplier. Basically, it's a cast aluminun valve with an integrated filter. The filter is cone shaped with a hole at the bottom which alows the distributer tube to be installed. The whole assembly is attached to a 3/4" Fleck bypass valve.
I will post pictures when I get a chance.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds like a 2nd tank adapter for the 9000 , if you can use the fleck bypass valve..

If you unhook the bypass there are only to ways from the out side to the inside of the tank,, one through the hole that looks like it goes straight in and then the other that looks to off to the side.. now the one in the center if you had a dental mirror you might be able to check with a light to see if you see the distributor up in the hole..

tfasbind

Reaction score
I checked out the 9000 online and the valve that I installed does look a lot like the 2nd tank adapter.
If I get a chance tomorrow I'll disconnect the tank from the bypass valve and see if I can look in the holes.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Another step on the way of figuring out what is going on with the calcite getting in to the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks