An easy answer?

Users who are viewing this thread

D & J

Reaction score
We moved into a new house, 18 years old, and the master bathroom - specifically coming from the toilet- now has an intermittant sewer smell. We are on an aerobic system and had the system serviced (pumped out and filter changed) July 13th. The smell began shortly afterwards. I believe it is coming from the wax ring area because the toilet has a little bit of movement and I just found that the rug around the toilet was a little damp (and, not for the obvious reasons). Also, we have flushed the toilet vent stack with a hose and it was clear. Before we undertake replacing the wax ring, are there any other ideas of the cause of the smell? Thanks for helping! :)

Finnegan

Reaction score
The wax ring would be my first repair. Since the toilet already moves, you should not have much trouble getting it up.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's likely you will need new closet bolts to reset the toilet. These are those brass bolts with an oblong, flat head that fit into the slots of the flange. These are often so corroded that they must be replaced. Easy to find in most any hardware store, plumbing shop, etc..

D & J

Reaction score
To Finnegan and Gary

Thanks so much for the reply. I appreciate any help given!!!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you reinstall the toilet, make sure to shim it so it doesn't rock at all. Otherwise, you'll be replacing the wax ring again soon.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks