Advice to stop teeny tiny leak?

Users who are viewing this thread

thebordella

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently posted about installing an icemaker line tapped off my well supply [https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?38055-Help-identify-this-blue-pipe&p=269421].

The job is now done but I have a very small niggling problem.

Here is the configuration:

1. Sharkbite Tee on 3/4 inch CPVC reduces to 1/2 inch
2. Short stub (4 inch) 1/2 inch CPVC connects to push-on angle valve with 3/8 compression output
3. 20 inch "faucet supply" (braided) 3/8 at both ends connects to angle valve and to adapter (below)
4. Watts 3/8 to 1/4 adapter connects to braided "faucet supply"
5. 1/4 inch icemaker line connects to Watts adapter and directly to fridge input

I know this is a bit roundabout, but I could not find ANYWHERE to buy a push on angle valve with a 1/4 inch compression output, which is why I wound up with Steps 3 and 4.

This setup works 99%. The two push-on fittings (Steps 1 and 2) are holding perfectly well with absolutely no leak.

The connection between Steps 2-3 and 4-5 are also tight with no leaks.

My only problem is the connection between Steps 3-4, where the braided "faucet supply" connects to the 3/8 inch end of the Watts adapter. I have tightened it and used some teflon tape but there remains a very teeny tiny leak. As in, a single water droplet at random intervals, maybe a handful per minute. I've redone the connection several times but the single droplet problem remains.

Looking for both ideas on why this is happening and is there a clever solution to suppress the single occasional water droplet leak, that isn't a gusher or even a steady trickle?

Thanks again!

sirgloves

Reaction score
I had a similar problem and fixed it by adding about 4 extra windings of teflon tape... I'm not an expert so I may wrong as far as professional installation goes but it worked for a simple DIY for me...

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you have what I think, both of those hoses normally have a gasket in the end, and the use of tape can cause a leak. The gasket against the ball end of the fitting should seal fine on their own. Also, overtightening them can be a problem.

Dahlman

VP at Dahl Brothers Canada Limited
Reaction score
Website
www.dahlvalve.com
Dahl has your valve

Hi,

The job is now done but I have a very small niggling problem. Here is the configuration:

2. Short stub (4 inch) 1/2 inch CPVC connects to push-on angle valve with 3/8 compression output
3. 20 inch "faucet supply" (braided) 3/8 at both ends connects to angle valve and to adapter (below)
4. Watts 3/8 to 1/4 adapter connects to braided "faucet supply"
5. 1/4 inch icemaker line connects to Watts adapter and directly to fridge input

I know this is a bit roundabout, but I could not find ANYWHERE to buy a push on angle valve with a 1/4 inch compression output, which is why I wound up with Steps 3 and 4. My only problem is the connection between Steps 3-4, where the braided "faucet supply" connects to the 3/8 inch end of the Watts adapter.

Looking for both ideas on why this is happening and is there a clever solution to suppress the single occasional water droplet leak, that isn't a gusher or even a steady trickle?

Thanks again!

Dahl #211-QG3-30 is a push-on valve with a 1/4 OD Compression outlet. It is a chrome plated angle valve. This will result in the following set-up:

2. Short stub (4 inch) 1/2 inch CPVC connects to push-on Dahl angle valve 211-QG3-30
3. 1/4 inch icemaker line connects to Dahl valve and directly to fridge input

Send our office an email at customerservice@dahlvalve.com and tell them that you spoke with Thomas on the Internet, and that I want them to send you one on the house. It can ship from our plant tomorrow if you send them an email tonight.

Please let us know what you think of it. Enjoy!

thebordella

Reaction score
Thomas,

Wow, thank you so much for your kind offer. I have contacted the customer service address you supplied with the information. I will be happy to post a followup when I install the new valve!

Dahl #211-QG3-30 is a push-on valve with a 1/4 OD Compression outlet. It is a chrome plated angle valve. This will result in the following set-up:

2. Short stub (4 inch) 1/2 inch CPVC connects to push-on Dahl angle valve 211-QG3-30
3. 1/4 inch icemaker line connects to Dahl valve and directly to fridge input

Send our office an email at customerservice@dahlvalve.com and tell them that you spoke with Thomas on the Internet, and that I want them to send you one on the house. It can ship from our plant tomorrow if you send them an email tonight.

Please let us know what you think of it. Enjoy!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that Watts "faucet supply" is the kind that is supposed to prevent floods, you have made a big mistake. These are absolutely worthless. They tend to fail quite frequently.

thebordella

Reaction score
I have read that about the flood prevention devices. But no, the only Watts piece in this assembly is a very simple 3/8 inch to 1/4 inch brass adapter, threaded male at both ends. The "faucet hose" is just your standard commonplace kind.

Dahlman

Reaction score
Website
www.dahlvalve.com
Our pleasure! I checked my email via our remote server and didn't see an email enquiry from you. Sometimes our mail server quarantines items. If you don't have a reply to your email by 10:00 am EST, then you may want to give them a call at 1-800-268-2363. Just press 1 when you hear the company greeting and you'll be routed to the Customer Service Dept. Tell them what we've discussed and they'll look after you. I'm on vacation...sort of :)...they have direct access to me all week even though I'm not there.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Mr. Dahl, can you post a link to your companys products? I like to buy American, but you Canadians are a good second choice. I saw your valves in a seperate post by Ian and they looked like a good piece of work.

Distributors in California or on line purchase sources in US?

Dahlman

Reaction score
Website
www.dahlvalve.com
Hi ballvalve,

Our website is here: www.dahlvalve.com. We have some work to do on our website so our Product Search function is somewhat outdated and the best information is on the Downloads page or uisng the "Build Your Own Mini-Ball Valve" function (if you need something unusual).

Dahl qualifies for projects with Buy American requirements under the ARRA because we buy so much of our raw material in the U.S.A. That valve in the photo you saw in the other thread is made from American brass. Dahl is not simply an assembly plant - we design, engineer, machine, assemble, test, package & ship the finished product from our one location outside of Toronto.

We sell to a number of supply houses in California. Your best bet is to find the local Dahl rep (on our website Sales Agencies link) and have them recommend a supplier in your area. You are also most welcome to contact our office directly.

Thank you!!!
Dahlman

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks