Can I run a dryer vent against a basement foundation wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Benze

Reaction score
Hi,

I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where winters are quite cold and severe. Temperatures here can be as low as -30F in winter. I'm not sure this counts as an HVAC question, but I think this forum is the closest match I can find.

I am installing a new dryer vent in my basement and in order to save as much space as possible, I'd like to run the vertical part of my vent in between my 2x4 studs directly against the foundation wall (a run of about 8'). The walls will be insulated with fiberglass (pink) and covered with a vapor barrier and drywall.

My concern is condensation. Is condensation around the exhaust pipe a worry? Do I have to ensure that my pipe runs on the inside of the insulated walls? Or do I need to use an insulated pipe? (ie: can I take a 4" pipe and insert it into a 5" pipe and line the space in between with fiberglass?)

Thanks for any suggestions!

Eric

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you don't seal the seams and joints in the duct, you could be putting moist air into that space and that would create a problem. It would depend somewhat on how far from the dryer that section of ducting is...the closer to the dryer, the hotter the air is. The output can be quite warm, so it probably wouldn't cool to the condensation point until it got outside. Only on the end of a cycle if it modulates the output is that likely to happen. I've never tried that, so I can't say with certainty. You might give the dryer manufacturer a call and seek their guidance. I'd probably consider aluminum duct rather than galvanized steel, just in case.

A 4" duct won't fit in a 2x4 stud wall...you'd need to switch to an oval configuration which would have more surface area, and cool things off more...

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The fiberglass insulation you intend to use should help to stop condensation. Without it you would have to worry.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks