Above Ground bladder style pump won't turn off and no water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

kimmie2000

Reaction score
Hello I have been racking my brain and can't come up with a solution to this problem. Ok I got up the morning and there was no water. I checked the fuses first to see if that was my problem since I had to change them before. (Not the problem) I went outside and noticed that the pump wasn't sounding right. Only a hum. So I took the pump motor off and took it to be rebuilt. Ok problem fixed right...WRONG!!
Now the pump won't turn off. When I first hooked it back up it cycled 30 seconds then off then on 30 seconds then off then on and won't turn off. I have a 1/2 hp jet style pump with a tank and bladder system. only whoever put this thing in didn't install a pressure gauge so I have no clue at what the pressure is. With the pump running I have a small trickle of water comming into my house but nothing else. The pressure plate box(gray box) was replaced less than a month ago. I removed the small white line from pressure plate to the top of the pump and cleaned that thinking it was clogged but no. I really don't know what else to do. Please give me another Idea. I have no money to put into this.

Ok I was just reading the stickers on the side of the tank and it says it is a Hydro Pneumatic tank system. Does that make any difference?

Last edited:

kimmie2000

Reaction score
The pump is sucking water from the 125 foot well and yes I do know how to prime it. Have done that already. I have water to the tank just not to the house. I was told yesterday that I need to drain the tank and add air up to 30 lbs. Then re-prime it and let the tank fill, So I am going to try that. There isn't a bladder in my tank it is a hydro pneumatic tank.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
If its a plain tank, you need to keep air in it. It does not need to be pressurized. If your tank has an air valve [tire valve] on top, pump it up to a little less than the pump "on" pressure. Its likely that the bladder or bag in that tank is broken, and the adding of air will be temporary, unless you want to do it every week or so.

But if you have good water to the tank and little "out" to the house, you have a broken bag in the tank that is blocking the outlet. In that case adding air will probably stop all flow to the house. I am guessing you need a new pressure tank. If you get water out of the tire gauge on top, its a cetainty. Without a tank, you will smoke the pump again.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Pumps without a working pressure guage is like looking at an electric line and wondering if it's hot or not! Pumps need a working gauge to know what's happening. As Ballvalve says you may or may not need a new pressure switch!

kimmie2000

Reaction score
OK I finally just said forget it and hired a plumber. He replaced my OLD jet style pump with a new submersible pump and my broken bladder tank with a new one. Now I have gauges. WOW!! Thank you all for you help and support.

Allen2010

Reaction score
that was a smart decision

the pump you had is not dependable and you can easily get plugged jet assemblies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks