Island Vent Loop Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Pauly79

Reaction score
I'm in a two story condo, and am relocating the kitchen island.

The kitchen is on the second level, and the the current set-up involves an underfloor p-trap connected to a 2" drain that connects to a vented drain in the service wall.

I wanted to remove the p-trap from under the floor because it causes the bulkhead its in to be an extra few inches deep and as the bulkhead will be expanding horizontally as part of my renovations, its depth will cause problems with the opening of the front door. Removing the p-trap and putting it above the slab will allow the bulkhead to be expanded without interfering with the door.

My plumber is suggesting the use of an air admittance valve, which can be placed above the rim of the sink inside the island since the back of the island has a 6" deep ledge that rises 6" above the normal counter height.

However, I've been reading about island vent loops and am wondering if one might work in my case. Basically, I could run a loop vent like in the attached image, except the vertical vent part of the loop would connect directly to the horizontal drain, and then that drain would be connected to a stack at the service wall, since it would be very difficult to create a new horizontal vent that connects to the stack.

Is this possible solution, or do you need to have two separate horizontal vent and drain pipes running parallel to each other?

Attachments

• loop vent.jpg
    loop vent.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 843

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Here's my take on island loop venting. I don't like it. I don't like it because even with the proper clean-outs, if part of the vent does plug up no one will even know. ( especially if there is a garbage disposal installed. I would much rather see a waste stack vent or, god help me, an AAV, if the waste to vent distance is too far.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I'm afraid it is a moot point for you.
From what I understand the code used in Ontario likes P-Traps under the floor and does not like loop vents.
You have to go with what is allowed by code in your location.

island_sink_bert_polk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I love that P trap under the floor thing. 36" stand pipe, sweet :) No worries about that trap plugging up. Oh Canada, I stand on guard for thee

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I love that P trap under the floor thing. 36" stand pipe, sweet :) No worries about that trap plugging up. Oh Canada, I stand on guard for thee

They do seem to have a lot of complaints about how loud the dishwasher draining is though... Whodda Thunk!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks