cement patio

Users who are viewing this thread

janetcal

Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen or heard of pouring a cement patio on top of dirt instead of on rock? We live in Western Pennsylvania.

Fireguy97

Irrigation Contractor
Reaction score
I've heard of it, I've seen it done, but I'm an Irrigation Contractor not a Landscaper, or a concrete guy. Do you mean gravel, or rock? I know that if you did pour over soil, it would still have to be compacted, and very stable to start with.

Mick

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If you live in an area in which the ground freezes and thaws in the winter it would be a big mistake.
The high moisture content often found in soil causes it to expand greatly when it freezes & then the slab will heave and crack.

Rock or gravel is used as a proper base because it allows water to quickly drain and moisture to dry outward.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Use concrete not cement, and use rebar, and ensure the subgrade is well compacted.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Unless the dirt has been disturbed, it is probably as compacted as it is going to get. Many people use the terms cement and concrete interchangeably, even though one is a subset of the other.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
Unless the dirt has been disturbed, it is probably as compacted as it is going to get. Many people use the terms cement and concrete interchangeably, even though one is a subset of the other.

I'm just clarifying because I've seen people mix straight portland cement with water and expect it to work like concrete.

Cement is an INGREDIENT in a concrete mix.

janetcal

Reaction score
yes we used 2 inches of rock over the dirt and will pour 4 inches of cement.... I wanted 4 inches of rock and 5 1/2 inches of cement but contractor says we dont need that much because it is a patio and not a driveway.. Im just concerned about the winters here in western Pa.. I know the first year is crucial so that the cement dont crack.. someone told me to also get some hay or straw and leave it on the corners of the patio after the cement has dried to cure the patio.. anyone hear of that? thanks for the feedback

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks