Flexible copper in hydronic heating systems

Users who are viewing this thread

DAvid12846

Reaction score
My Dad had a hydronic heating system put in in 1967. He had the contractor put the 1" copper pipe through a double 2"x10"x10' beam (attached as PipingNow.jpg). The beam in our unfinished basement is a supporting beam with two 4"x4" posts on either end. Next summer I want to replace the beam and have one end of a new beam tied into an unfinished interior wall in the basement. Over the years the house has been settling and the current beam is pushing down on the pipe :( . I want to reroute the pipe around the end of the beam. I have a couple of plans for rerouting the pipe.

Plan "A" calls for moving 4 "force flow" tees and using two 45s and a 90 degree elbow (Attached as PipingPropA.jpg). I'd rather not move the tees and redo a couple of the 1/2" supply/return pipes. I'll ask about moving the tees in a future posting if I use plan "A".

Plan "B" would not involve moving any tees, but I would have to use either four 90 degree elbows or flexible copper pipe with two 45 degree elbows (attached as PipingPropB.jpg). With this plan, I'm concerned that using too many additional elbows will cut down on the resistance of the flow of water. I'm leaning towards plan "B" and using 1" flexible copper.

Any thoughts? Should I use flexible copper? Maybe wide radius 90 degree elbows instead?

In advance, Thanks
David

Attachments

• PipingNow.jpg
    PipingNow.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 586
  • PipingPropA.jpg
    PipingPropA.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 555
  • PipingPropB.jpg
    PipingPropB.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 587

DAvid12846

Reaction score
EEks! When I added the attachments, I told it "attachment" as opposed to "in-line". Looks like they're appearing "in-line"!

Anyway, the photo under my posting is "PipingNow.jpg", my current piping.
The next photo is Plan "A" (PipingPropA.jpg).
The bottom photo is Plan "B" (PipingPropB.jpg).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks