Replacing a Lead Closet Bend

Users who are viewing this thread

bet3z

Reaction score
My bathroom remodel was gaining momentum, and I ran into another snag. I was thinking about how to best get my new subfloor around the existing toilet flange when I noticed a couple problems with the closet bend.

The bend appears to be lead, and it looks like the flange is brass. The flange seems to be soldered to the bend. The first issue is that a large crack has developed in the lead directly beneath the flange. It goes about a quarter of the way around the circumference of the pipe. The second issue is that there is a bit of rust where the bend meets the hub of the cast iron stack, and there are water stains on the wood beneath it.

Considering both issues, I figured my best bet in tackling this myself would be to follow Terry's suggestion in the following thread - securing a new bend and flange in the old hub using a rubber donut:

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?34981-Another-Broken-toilet-flange-thread

However, I'm wondering if there's anything special I need to do to deal with the corrosion on the hub. It doesn't appear to be extensive, but I think I need to do something about it.

Any suggestions on dealing with it, or perhaps other approaches I could take in perhaps repairing what I have in place now?

Thanks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The metal is not deteriorated by the "rust", but you WILL have to remove all the rust from the inside of the hub to allow the gasket to make a good seal. Terry chides me for not wanting to go to the trouble of using a gasket, because I prefer to install a new cast iron bend using a lead/oakum joint.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm not chiding you, I just don't like lead.
If the homeowner has the option to have his plumber replace with a cast iron closet bend, then that would be a good way to go. I don't see many homeoweners doing it though. This may be a task that is well worth hiring out.

Anyone see the new EPA requirement for lead lately?
Jamie and I took an eight hour class on Friday for certification as RRP's. The EPA has classified lead to be as dangerous as asbestos.
The new requirements require containment and reports to the EPA when it's encountered in paint. The class didn't go into pouring lead, but you're not allowed to use an open flame on lead paint for removal.

http://www.epa.gov/lead/

Contractors Must Be
Lead-Safe Certified

lead-bend-replace-07.jpg

Last edited:

bet3z

Reaction score
If I had the proper tools for the lead/oakum joint, I might try it (the current one's lasted 60 years, so that's saying something), but since I don't I think I'll give the gasket a try. I will have to find a plumbing supply house nearby, because I am perpetually frustrated with the selection at the big-box stores. Not just for this. There's a bunch of stuff I've needed throughout this project that they didn't have. They had a clay pipe donut, but not one for a cast iron hub. The clay pipe one isn't the right size, is it?

bet3z

Reaction score
Also... Is there any advantage to going down to a 3" (like the bushing giving extra support or something)? I already cut a 4" hole in the plywood for my subfloor, so I thought I'd just go with the donut and 4" PVC.

Andrew21

Reaction score
Wow, someone linked my thread! :)

Anyway, it took me and my friend a while to get that lead bend out. We used a sawzall (not really necessary) to cut the lead piece out. Then we drilled into the oakum (make sure you have lots of bits!) and kept drilling in and around. We then used the sawzall to cut a bit closer to the end. We left about a 1.5 of an inch out just in case to grab something. We then took a small flat screwdriver and pryed the oakum out. Once that was out, we were able to bend the lead into pieces. That moved the entire lead piece. Took all the oakum out and bent the living hell out of the lead..crushing it like a can. After struggling with the piece, we couldn't figure out why it was moving but not coming out. There is a brass or something at the end that keeps the piece from falling out. We smashed the living hell out of the lead and that ring went with it. Wish I had pics for you.

Andrew21

Reaction score
As Terry said in my thread..

"The trapway on a toilet is 2"
Nothing ever clogs in a 3" pipe unless the tile guy used your toilet drain for a garbage can, seen that done."

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I used 4" closet bends for my first 20 years in the business, and for the last 40, I have always used 4x3 bends. So far, I have never installed a 3" riser for the toilet connecion.

bet3z

Reaction score
So 4" riser into 4x3 pipe into 4x3 bushing into 4x4 donut (or 4x3 donut w/o the bushing)?

Thanks for your patience and advice. I just want to be sure I understand before I seal all this up!

bet3z

Reaction score
Well, my visit to the plumbing supply store was a bit disappointing. The guy at the parts counter looked at me like I was crazy. He rummaged through some parts and came up with this:

He admitted that he did not know if it was the right part. It says "SERCO 4" SERVICE MULTI TITE". What concerns me is the chamfer. Will this work? I can pretty easily find a 4x3 adapter, so I could do that and forgo the bushing.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I normally use the 4" Fernco for the hub pipe, but the one you have should work too. Just pick up a 4" x 3" Flush bush, soap it up and tap it un using a block of wood and a hammer.

replace_lead_bend.jpg

fernco_hub_4.jpg

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
The metal is not deteriorated by the "rust", but you WILL have to remove all the rust from the inside of the hub to allow the gasket to make a good seal. Terry chides me for not wanting to go to the trouble of using a gasket, because I prefer to install a new cast iron bend using a lead/oakum joint.

A little bit stuck in the past, are we?

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I'll be sure to use my asbestos heat blanket next time I need to do any soldering...

bet3z

Reaction score
I got the donut and bushing in, but it seems a bit problematic. The goofy donut I got doesn't fill the entire depth of the hub; there's an inch gap between where the donut ends and where the hub ends. It seems like water would pool in this gap, which would eventually cause a leak. The donut Terry posted looks much deeper. I'll go try to find one. The 4x3 might be my only option, unless I want to delay the project while I try to find the 4x4. I'll post on my progress...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "old way" worked for the Romans, and was the standard until the 70's, so it must have something going for it. As someone once said, "Don't be the first to embrace the new things, nor the last to discard the old". I can pour a lead joint in a few minutes. Trying to beat an closet bend elbow into a Ty-Seal gasket could take a lot longer, and might require mechanical assistance.

bet3z

Reaction score
OK. All the technical drawings I can find show that these donuts will not fill the entire 3-inch-long hub. Am I worried about nothing?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I wouldn't worry about it. Even the old fashioned poured joint, which like hj mentions has been working fine for years; used oakum behind the lead. Now oakum is not at all waterproof either. The lead is, but there is just a little of that at the end, maybe even less then the rubber sleeve your are using.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks