How to choose a cistern pump

Users who are viewing this thread

lou1

Reaction score
My cistern is a 5'x5'x12' concrete space in the basement. The rainwater comes from a metal roof and passes through a screen and a first flush diverter before entering the cistern. Cold drinking/cooking water is plumbed separately to each floor.

The cistern water will feed the following
in the basement: three sets of faucets, a toilet, two external faucets, and hot water heater,
on the main floor: three sets of faucets, a toilet and a dishwasher,
on the second floor: two set of faucets and a toilet.

There are three adults with varying schedules living here.

What specifications and features should I be looking for in a suitable pump?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 1/2 HP, 10 GPM submersible in the cistern would do a good job. If you want to use a jet pump go with a 1 HP for a little extra pressure, since you have two stories.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
A 3/4 hp jet pump or a 1/2hp submersible pump. Myself, I prefer a submersible pump with a Pside-Kick http://www.cyclestopvalves.com/products.html. It makes a simple and inexpensive installation. The Pside-Kick will prevent your pump from cycling when filling the washing machine and taking a shower, plus it will give you constant pressure like city water pressure. You may want to consider installing a Cycle Sensor (from the same web site). It will save the pump in case you run out of water in the cistern.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks