Apollo valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You know me...I like to buy American.

Anyway, a few days ago I ordered some Apollo ball valves from the web. I was very surprised when some rather flimsy looking valves arrived made in China by Apollo International.

Assuming I had been taken for a ride I ordered four more from a reputable dealer.

This time, two of the sturdy Made in USA Apollo valves arrived and two of the flimsy Chinese ones made by Apollo International.

What is going on?

What I am used to:............................................And the cheeky Chinese version:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 707
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 688
Last edited:

DavidTu

Reaction score
But I'd caution against assigning the "greed" to Apollo... they are probably doing what they have to in order to survive. The greedy ones are the plumbers who buy the cheapest rather than the best and the end-customer who hires the cheapest plumber or simply doesn't care about quality.

Hopefully, they will still manufacture the higher qualily ones at a higher price, and I'd buy 'em.

Steve_P

Reaction score
I'm surprised you can actually still buy an american made ball valve. Typically when you start seeing China stuff mixing in with the old US stock it means that they are switching the mfg to China and soon that's all you'll find. Years ago I bought some chinese ball valves from Harbor Freight and they looked to be excellent quality, nice casting, nice machining, all teflon insides- they've been on a compressed air system at 160 psi and no problems. But like HJ said, probably full of lead LOL.

I noticed Home Depot has ball valves made in Italy.

I bought a bunch of vise grips recently and noticed that many of their models are now made in China; they probably all will be soon.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
It's just plain disgraceful what our politicians and big business have done to this country. You are right about kids and games. Even any model building like cars and military is mostly an adult activity anymore. I attempt to build cars but mostly I like to make parts out of resin. I'm in a couple of model clubs, it's fun to do.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I have a 5 year old and he can bring me a pipe wrench, or dikes or channel locks, or screwdrivers by size and tip from the van. Took a little work, and sometimes I get a hammer instead, but I have had 20 year old workers that could not adjust a pipe wrench or figure out how to use vise grips.

Instead of banging keyboards, I gave him a 12 ounce hammer and 50 pounds of roofing nails. After he pounded the whole box into the workbench top, he graduated to 16 penny nails. And damned if he does'nt even pick up the hammer without his safety glasses on! Try to find a 20 year old worker that does that reliably.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks