Gas water heater/Furnace combo

Users who are viewing this thread

Southpaw134

Reaction score
Need some help, I work for a municipal utility that offers natural gas service and rebates for gas appliances. We are currently offering 'double' rebates for gas appliances, some rebates are substantial (new water heater = $1350.00, new furnace = $1400.00 - - - new is defined as converting the existing appliance from electric to gas). I assist with processing rebates for our gas department, which has forwarded a rebate request in which the customer claims their new water heater also doubles as a furnace. They referred to this appliance as a Hydro water heater.

At first, I thought they were referring to the GE Geo Spring hybrid electric water heater, but the gas department said that it was not a hybrid electric. I've heard hydro water heater system used when referring to a solar water heater/gas hybrid. Unfortunately, I have yet to hear back from the customer to gain clarification from them directly.

Can anyone confirm if their is such a thing as a gas water heater/furnace combo exists? Thanks in advance.

-Mike

Southpaw134

Reaction score
After two days I finally heard back from the customer (guess I should've waited a few more minutes before posting this thread). The customer provided the manufacturer information, Apollo HydroHeat, which would qualify for both our water heater and furnace rebates.

Last edited:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
So this qualifies for both rebates which can be added together for a $2750 total? That's likely to be on the order of half the installed cost of the thing!

There are a few vendors in this biz, the Bradford White Defender Combi-II is the one I've seen most often. The AFUE on these beastis as a heating appliance is about the legal-minimum (78%), and as-use it's typically even lower than that, but for places with low heat loads (like FL) the money you'd pay for a higher efficiency system would never be cost-effective. There are tankless on-demand water heater combis out there too, but most are custom-designed for the application. Those built around condensing on-demand water heater can be pretty high-performance if designed right (90-95%+), but those built around the typical 0.82-0.84 EF units run in the low 80s in space heating mode as well- better than the Apollo or BW combis but not often cost-effective on fuel savings alone. (In FL the SPACE savings of being able to install it outdoors can sometimes be worth it over tank-type combis though.)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks