Well casing

Users who are viewing this thread

ugabulldog

Reaction score
I have an older 6" drilled well on my property that i am trying to use.....The well co. has come out and put a new submerssible pump 240' deep. The old casing coming out of the ground is steel. Does this casing need to extend down the entire depth??? Because I ran pump today for about 45 min. It was pumping about 20 gallons a min., water was clear at first but then turned and remained cloudy/dirty, well ran dry after about 45min-1 hr. (either that or my pump shut off for some reason)

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Pumping 20 gallons a minute you might have run it dry. Measure the water level with a string line before and after pumping to determine how quickly it is dropping. You can use the same method to measure how quickly the well recovers after pumping it down.

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
No, it's not always necessary that the steel casing goes all the way down. In some areas the steel casing stops and is seated into the rock .More than likely the well pumped down, it probably didn't pump dry. Many times when the water became muddy/dirty before it stopped pumping is caused by water cascading down the well wall carrying debri to the pump inlet. It will usually clear up when the well recovers.

ugabulldog

Reaction score
thanks,....I don't know if well is drilled down into rock or not, does going down 240' mean it was drilled into rock??....so the casing is supposed to go down all the way or until rock is hit?? Also, i am confused how "water cascading down the well wall carrying debri to the pump inlet" can happen if it is encased??? Thanks again for help...

Last edited:

jimtum

AAW
Reaction score
Your well is running through an aquafer or a finger of one and as your pump begins to pump off this means the well is not able to recover quickly enough and so as the volume of water is depleted it will pull more mud through the screen into the casing and thus the dirty water. If it never got to a low point the water being so plentiful never has a chance to stir up the mud in the aquafer or your well bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks