Rear outlet toilet install

Users who are viewing this thread

Potterboy1

Reaction score
OK I will try to be brief with my questions. I am install a AM Yorkville in a remodeled bathroom.
1) I am replacing the broken flange and would like to use Sioux Chief Push Tite)

is this OK for a rear outlet? SC tech help was no help. They recommend I ask AM is it OK?????
2) I purchased a sponge rubber seal from McMaster-Carr (http://www.mcmaster.com/#toilet-seals/=8kd5wu). No glue came with it. Do I need glue? If so then what kind?
Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would think that both are okay.
The floor mount rear outlet can get by without glue on the rubber seal.

They also have a wax ring made for a wall outlet.

fluidmaster-pro-seal.gif

Last edited:

Potterboy1

Reaction score
One more question:
Should the neoprene seal fit inside the beveled part of the closet flange?
Thanks again.

jfarnold

Apprentice Plumber
Reaction score
It should be completely around the waste flange on the toilet itself, and should seat to the flange and fill any space.
The mating of the toilet and the flange needs to be pretty much on the money straight up and down.

Potterboy1

Reaction score
OK problem number 450...I was just trying to install the Sioux Chief Push Tite (http://www.siouxchief.com/Drainage/R...ush-Tite.VZ8US) flange which is suppose to fit inside a 3 inch PVC pipe, but low and behold I have ABS drain pipe and the gasket on the flange doesn't come close to forming a seal to the inside of the ABS pipe. I can easily pull the flange into and out of the pipe and when installed there is enough room for it to wiggle around at the gasket end of the flange. So now I am assuming that ABS has different dimensions than PVC? Who knew? Not I of course. Any suggestions before I continue to go insane with this problem? Sorry all for the rant but I needed to vent.
Mike

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Drain pipe is specified by the internal dimension, so a 3" pipe is a 3" pipe ID, regardless of the material it is made of. Something's not right here, but it isn't obvious from this end.

Potterboy1

Reaction score
Here is some more info. I did a rough measurement of the ID of the drain pipe and it is about 3 1/8 inches.?. Then I measured the OD of the gasket of the replacement flange and it is about 3 1/8. That explains the loose fit but it doesn't solve my problem. My house was built in 1965 and I am located in the northeast USA. Was there ever an odd ball black plastic pipe size that was used in that era. I am grasping at straws here.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Drain pipe is specified by the internal dimension, so a 3" pipe is a 3" pipe ID, regardless of the material it is made of.

good idea in theory, but NOT in practice. The pipe size is a NOMINAL dimension, but since the O.D. is fixed, (otherwise you could never mix fittings), the i.d. varies according to the wall thickness, EXCEPT for S&D thin wall PVC, which DOES maintain the proper i.d, but since the pipe wall is thinner, that makes the o.d. less than the other classes of pipe so you need adapter bushings to join it to standard fittings. BUT sch. 40 PVC and ABS have the same o.d. and i.d.

Potterboy1

Reaction score
OK here is my next thought. After looking at the Sioux Chief Push Tite flange I noticed that the rubber seal sits slightly recessed in a groove. So now I pulled the seal out of the groove and slid it back so that it is on the wider part of the pipe thus making the seal a little wider. I tried it in the DWV pipe and now the edges of the seal touch and fold back. I am going to stop into HD and try one of the Sioux Chief Push Tite flanges "off the shelf" and see what type of engagement there is in a standard 3 inch pipe. Any thoughts?
Thanks

Potterboy1

Reaction score
This is my final setup for the flange installation. The engagement of the Sioux Chief Push Tite with the gasket pulled back out of the groove was the same as a standard one at the hardware store. So to double up on the seal I bought another Sioux Chief Push Tite and removed the gasket and put it on with the other one ( 2 gaskets on one flange). Then I added plumbers putty to the flange so when inserted into the DWV pipe it would seal to the end of the pipe to the backside of the flange. I know overkill but I really don't want to have to go back and fix a leak after I am done installing the toilet. Now the toilet is installed (Saturday)and so far so good (Monday). No leaks (fingers crossed).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks