Water heater thermal expansion tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

lump-dog

Reaction score
First of all, great site! I found this forum some years ago when I started having to trouble shoot my Grundfos VFD due to the shortsighted engineered obsolescence of this type of system (I fell victim to the promises of greater efficiency with VFD when my conventional well pump failed after some 20 years). After 2 CU301 controllers failed (the first being replaced under warranty), I converted by system over to one utilizing a CSV, and never looked back.

Today, my 4.4gal pressure tank has become water logged (the tank that was gleaned from the Grundfos VFD system when I converted my system over). My local plumbing supply house has an Amtrol ProFlo thermal expansion tank (water heater safety tank) that sure seems like it can be used for my application. I mean, logically, it does what I need it to do. It operates in the same pressure ranges as my old tank, it has a bladder with air on one side and water on the other, what else is there? Amtrol customer (no)service was no help. I've poured over this site, and the internet, to determine if there's any reason why I CAN'T use this tank, to no avail. Just looking for verification from those in the know....

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
I don't know? Looking up Amtrol ProFlo thermal expansion tank on the internet says it's for hot water systems. I don't know why it wouldn't work for a pressure tank. I suggest you call Amtrol and ask them.

lump-dog

Reaction score
I called Amtrol, and unfortunately, could not get to a competent person to get a straight answer. The tech support simply read out the application of the "water heater safety tank" (thermal expansion tank) from the catalog. My issue is, it does the same thing, works the same way, operates in the same pressure ranges, and it even looks EXACTLY the same (except for the color and part number), so, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and acts like a duck, it must be a duck, right?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Not everything that looks like a duck is a duck. Sometime you have to look inside. A thermal expansion tank sometimes has a very small opening. It may still be a 3/4" pipe thread connection but, the hole inside the connection may only be as big as a pencil. If it has a regular size opening, it will work fine. If it has a tiny little opening, the water can't get in and out fast enough to work as a pressure tank. Of course you know that tank was probably damaged when the CU301 failed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks