Hot water takes very long time to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

pacta

Reaction score
When I turn on my hot water at the faucet, it takes about 45 seconds before hot water actually flows. Before that it's cold.

I live in a small apartment that's only about 500 sq. ft., and in a straight line, my water heater is no more than 15 feet from any faucet.

Why would it take so long for the hot water to get to my faucet?

Other random things about my plumbing (may or may not be relevant):

-- The kitchen sink and the bathtub faucets drip.

-- The drains quite slowly from the tub and the kitchen sink.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
water

Apparently the faucets drips are not the hot water side or you would have hot water a lot faster. It takes a while because you have to displace the cold water in the pipe. The larger the pipe, the longer the pipe, and the slower the water flows from the faucet, the longer it will take to get hot water.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
In my old apartment, they ran PEX pipe underneith the apartment, in the crawl space. Come wintertime, when it got cold, the water was freezing and took forever to warm up. Found a leak one day, landlord wouldn't get to it, so I had to take care of it. Well, when I opened up the wall I found that there was like a bazillion (that's a lot) feet of the pipe just coiled up down there. That's why it was taking so long for hot water.... Just because your faucet is 15 feet away doesn't mean there is 15feet of pipe between here and there.

Jason

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good point. I don't think it should take that long to purge 15' of pipe, even 3/4". Also, the drain problem and the supply problem are in no way connected, at least I certainly hope not!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks