Caulking Around Toilet Base

Users who are viewing this thread

D

DJ2

I have something to add about caulking around toilet bases but can't locate the original thread. Sorry to start a new one but here goes.

I used silicone to caulk around the base of a toilet a number of years ago. When I replaced it the new toilet had a smaller footprint. The silicone was so firmly attached to the vynal floor that I couldn't remove it without taking up a chunk of the vynal surface.

You should consider this before using silicone caulk around a toilet.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
calk

Thats top on my list as to why I don't calk the base of toilets that sit on a ceramic floor.
Vinyl on wood floor, the toilet doesn't need to be calked unless the toilet is badly warped on the base......

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
aulk

Around here, you do not have a choice if it is a new installation that will be inspected. The inspectors will reject it if it is not caulked, and caulked all the way around without a gap at the rear.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
calk

Most of my time I spent was with repair work, so I do what I think is best for my customer.
Or I do for them what I would do for myself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks