Whole house filter recommendations for colored well water ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Nofears67

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for a good whole house filtration system with very low head loss that has inlet/oulet size of 1.25" or larger? We also need the filters to be able to flow up to 40 gpm.

I ask because we have a well that occassionaly puts out "plugs" of red water that is also accompanied by small flakes of rust, etc. Normally our water is crystal clear but the other day I was flushing out a new 2" line that I connected to the system and a lot of red water came out. I suppose this happened due to the flushing to atmosphere likely created such a demand on the well that water was flushing down the casing more than normal and this water was churning up sediment along the casing and at the bottom of the well. At least this was the only scenario that made sense to me since we haven't had any issues for quite sometime.

Normally we do not have large (open to air) demands on this well.

Last edited by a moderator:

jimtum

AAW
Reaction score
If you can have your water tested and let me know how much iron is in it, also I think I saw a post you made here as well. If you need a filter I can help you with that, you can call me at 940 389-4305 or email me at jimtum@gmail.com I used to work in Riverside years ago and did not even realize people had wells out there.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
when I need filtration like that I use standard and cheap 3/4" housings, clear, and 2$ 5 or 10 micron cartridges from several online sources. Build a gang of them, on a manifold, that meets your flow and filtration change need intervals. Beats the price of tall and large diameter housings and has flexibility that the the monster filter systems that cost 20 times more do not have.

Nofears67

Reaction score
ballvalve, I had contacted a company who made large filters that only came in 1" inlet/outlet and asked if I coule plumb two of these in parallel to essentially get a larger flow rate and they told me that would not work...

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
He must have envisioned you putting one after another. I feed two rentals with muddy water, 1" in feed line, manifold into 3] 50 micron filters 3/4" inlet, then into two more 10 micron units. Then back to the 1" line. We change them about every 2 months and no one has commented on any flow change characteristics. They have commented on clean water.

Simply pull the flow charts on those filter housings and do the math, its pretty simple. I get the filters from a standard search - gets you to a great company with $1.60 filters and 19$ dollar housings, and seem very good quality. Of course one must spend the time to build a manifold and hang it, so if you are not so inclined, buy the long tom, but start saving money for the filters.

How could a house use 40 GPM? I would size for average use and let the pressure suffer at other times. If you are irrigating, perhaps you can seperate it and use a sand filter with backwash.

Last edited:

Nofears67

Reaction score
ballvalve, could you please PM me the brand of filter you recommend?

So you are saying that if one sediment filter can flow 20 gpm and I set two in parallel from an 1.25" main line and bush back into the 1.25" line downstream that I should be able to flow 30-40 gpm?

I have very high performance showers and the home's demand could potentially approach 30-40 gpm if both showers were running "full bore" and say a dishwasher and/or washing machine was running at the same time.

Thanks!

jimtum

AAW
Reaction score
Riverside67 you cannot filter out iron or colored water with cartridge filters. If it is iron you will need to oxidize it and if you need a high flow rate then you must have a large tank or do as you suggested, put them in parallel. Putting them in parallel will cost you more. I have used a 4 cu ft tank for irrigation set ups and the flow rate allows for 20gpm. That is with a 1" inlet and outlet. You really need to find out what is making your water colored before you spend money on a filtration system that may not work. I was also not trying to sale you something, it is easier to talk on the phone rather than post blogs. All of my phone consultations and help are free. None the less, hope you get your problem solved.

Nofears67

Reaction score
When I had my water tested over a year ago the iron level was 0.707 mg/L. The well has been flushed and used regularly since then. I believe the recent "plug" of red water was caused by an extremely high demand when a line broke which allowed the pump to flow at full bore (~100 gpm) which inturn created alot of turbulence inside the well. Under normal circumstances the maximum demand stays under 30 gpm when my irrigation system is running.

I will be using a water softener and I have heard that it will take care of a large portion of the iron in my water. I was primarily wanting to put some cartridge filters in parallel to remove any small rust and/or sediment from the water, not for color removal as the water is normally very clear.

jimtum

AAW
Reaction score
Your water softener will take out the iron, and if you are sure what the manufacturer says about flow rate then you can either go with one or two, I would go two in parallel just to be sure.

Nofears67

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great input everyone!

I have ordered two of these units and will plumb them in parallel.

Thanks again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks