OK NOT to use a Long Sweep 90 at the bottom of a drop?

Users who are viewing this thread

Speede541

Reaction score
This, I hope, is my last question concerning my 4" CI waste stack.

The following pic is a 4" regular 90 at the base of a 9 foot vertical drop. Wouldn't a long sweep normally be installed in this situation, in order to ease the transition of solid waste from vertical to horizontal?

I already test fit a long sweep — it fits fine — and will be installing it today. Just curious as to why a long sweep fitting might not have been installed here originally (it was installed a year ago).

waste-into-lower-level.jpg

Speede541

Reaction score
Sorry, HJ, I should have phrased that differently -- I know this isn't a mind reading forum! :D

My real question should have been along the lines of guidance for when to use one over the other. In fact, with medium sweep 90s available, that complicates my question. Is it a matter of measuring the distance of the vertical drop?

As is, the coupling is smack between the floors, which made it difficult for me to get at. With the long sweep 90, I've got room for the adapter AND a riser clamp above the floor plate.

DavidTu

Reaction score
Is that a regular 90 or a "Short Sweep" (which is actually longer than a regular in CI)? If it is a SS the sweep is as long as a ABS Long Sweep, so perhaps if it is SS it is OK as-is since obviously an ABS LS is OK there. (My inspector will allow a SS-CI to be positioned horizontally, for example.) I don't have my books in front of me here so maybe they make the exception for horizontal but not vertical... but as far as the sewage is concerned, I don't think it knows if it is in CI or ABS :)

Speede541

Reaction score
Well, it's not a true hard 90 like I've seen in PVC, but it's the shortest 90 I've seen in CI. Maybe they only make SS in CI? Dunno.

In the months this waste line has been in use servicing a toilet flushed with a 1.5 gallon bucket of water into the bowl, I haven't had any problems, and no evidence of solids left behind now that I've opened it up, so I'm guessing the 90 that was there was OK. But I figured that since I'm here, and the long-sweep fits, may as well work it out.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Long sweep from vertical to horizontal, short sweep from horizontal to vertical.

Speede541

Reaction score
Again, thanks for the discussion. As I mentioned, I was going to change it anyway, and just want to follow up with before and after pics. The long sweep worked out well, and while I was at it I made adjustments to the routing.

90° bend, before (short sweep) and after (long sweep). Note that the coupling was "trapped" between floors previously.
bend-before.jpg
bend-after.jpg

On the floor above, in the 2nd photo, I was able to move the riser clamp to the long sweep fitting itself. The silver 2-band clamp is the top of the long-sweep 90.
riser-before.jpg
riser-after.jpg

Speede541

Reaction score
Downstairs, on the reverse side of the shear wall, I eliminated the 45° drop in favor of a little extra storage space above an upright freezer that will be against that wall. That's a medium sweep 90 feeding the short horizontal segment, which itself is fed by the long-sweep 90 into a short-sweep 90. I'm thinking of framing a soffit around the horizontal portion but not sure if I'll leave the vertical portion exposed.
into-slab-before.jpg
into-slab-after.jpg

Speede541

Reaction score
Don't forget your nail guards.

:D

Yeah, thanks. There's a downside and an upside to posting these pics this way. I keep coming back to the various threads looking for things to unnecessarily change, but I also keep finding things I missed. I noticed I missed a couple of nail plates that I'm absolutely positive I would have driven a drywall screw through!

Speede541

Reaction score
why are you cashing out for those husky bands ? regular missions would work just fine..

'Cause I'm friggin RICH!

Naw, it's not that.... this was covered in another recent thread of mine, but I was duplicating what the plumber ahead of me did, and what I've seen elsewhere. The forum straightened me out, but I can't say I'd have switched to the two band given the info. I used those standard 2-band couplings on my dry connections and a couple of places where I was cramped for space. But I'm more comfortable with the 4-band and in retrospect am OK with the small price premium I paid for them.

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
I don't see a problem with using a better clamp, even though you can get away with a lesser...

DavidTu

Reaction score
That's a medium sweep 90 feeding the short horizontal segment, which itself is fed by the long-sweep 90 into a short-sweep 90.

In CI, I believe there is long sweep LS, short sweep SS, and 1/4 bend in decreasing sweep sizes... (my plumbing supply sometimes calls the 1/4 bend a medium sweep, but that makes no sense to me :)).. so it looks to me like it's a 1/4 bend into a LS into a SS into a 1/4 bend after the horizontal. At least that's what I've gleaned.

Not that it matters to a flush.

Speede541

Reaction score
Well, obviously I'm a noob and just going off what my local supply house calls 'em, so I don't know for sure one way or the other.

Here's what they call 4-inch "90", "MS" and "LS" (ignore the 3" label on the bin I've got them stacked in front of):

short-med-long.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks