Tub Drain removal ?

Users who are viewing this thread

fattireb

Reaction score
Hi All - i'm new here and have a question about removing a drain from an old tub in my basement bathroom. I want to remove it and install a new tub but can't get the drain to turn at all. I have a master extractor but it doesn't fit in that great and there is not a + on the bottom of the drain to latch into - the inside of the drain only has these 2 nubs for the extractor to grab (not working). Any advise would be great. Thanks in advance!
Brian

pasco-drain-key.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Winslow

Plumber
Reaction score
First you could try using a pair of linesmans pliers. Just insert into the drain, open them up till they are butting against the tabs, insert a big screwdriver through the handles and turn out the strainer. If that doesn't work you can cut the strainer with a reciprocating saw in three places then pry it out. If its a cast iron tub you can just hit the tub around the strainer with a sledgehammer until it breaks (wear adaquate safety clothing, ear and eye protection.

mateer-02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks