Pressure Relief Valve-Furnace

Users who are viewing this thread

wrdtlpf

Carpentry/Handyman Service
Reaction score
Hi all- Hope you guys can help. I just installed a new pressure relief valve on my furnace. Old one was constantly dripping. I replaced a Watts 374A(550,000 BTU) with a Watts 335M1(510,000). Guy at supply house said it would be fine for the small Slant-Fin furnace I have. Both are factory set to 30 lbs as indicated on the tags. The autofill valve fills very slowly so I moved the valve lever and locked it straight up while I went around and bleed radiators. I came back to basement and water was everywhere because relief valve wasn't holding. Was it just because I had fill valve wide open and exceeded the 30 lbs or is there something you have to do when you install a new relief valve? Thanks guys, Bill-

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOU did it by not allowing the automatic filler to control the amount of water going into the system. The relief valve did EXACTLY what is was supposed to, and a "furnace" does NOT have a relief valve.

wrdtlpf

Reaction score
Not a plumber, carpenter. Kinda re-acquainted myself with things and figured it was because I had autofill wide open and as HJ reminded me that was the case. I closed autofill and all's ok now. The box says Watts "Relief Valve" on it so that's what I called it and have heard it called but maybe that's not technically correct when talking about a furnace? Gotta look into the Extrol tank now because that can cause the 'pressure relief valve' to leak if not set correctly I believe?

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Obviously its a boiler not a furnace and a boiler has a relief valve. The system pressure should be set around 15 psi and the relief goes off at 30 psi. You may want to replace the Pressure reducing valve as well depending on its age, it could be causing the issue as well. Also yes the expantion tank could be a problem as well.

Last edited:

wrdtlpf

Reaction score
Geez, yes, a boiler. Furnace hot air. I use furnace as a generic term I guess. Felt like I was getting yelled at, just looking for some help and advice, thanks Jerome2877.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The house where I grew up had a boiler ( still does, 65 years later, but not the original!). Single pipe steam heat. My dad always referred to it as "the furnace".

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As Abraham Lincoln once said, "If I call a dog's tail a leg, how many legs does it have?" You can call something anything you want to but that does not change what it is.

wrdtlpf

Reaction score
The vent above the purger/expansion tank was also leaking, I replaced it; does that mean the tank is waterlogged and the bladder is bad? I haven't isolated tank yet but then tank pressure is 27lbs. How do I correctly check the tanks pressure? Pressure gauge on boiler is reading 31-32lbs and it hasn't called for heat/hot water for quiet sometime now and new relief valve isn't leaking but will when boiler is running. I have installation/operating manual but can't find what pressure is recommended for this boiler. Forum says DIY welcome so that's why I'm here. Thanks guys-

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
The vent above the purger/expansion tank was also leaking, I replaced it; does that mean the tank is waterlogged and the bladder is bad? I haven't isolated tank yet but then tank pressure is 27lbs. How do I correctly check the tanks pressure? Pressure gauge on boiler is reading 31-32lbs and it hasn't called for heat/hot water for quiet sometime now and new relief valve isn't leaking but will when boiler is running. I have installation/operating manual but can't find what pressure is recommended for this boiler. Forum says DIY welcome so that's why I'm here. Thanks guys-

If the gauge on the boiler is showing 31-32lbs you are at the limit of the relief valve, every time it comes on it's going to leak, you have to get the pressure down to 12-15lbs; your auto fill may be bad. Are you sure you have an expansion tank with a bladder?

wrdtlpf

Reaction score
Yes, an Extrol tank model 30, precharge of 12lbs. It's reading 27lbs but I think I need to isolate it from the system to take a proper reading, is that right? Autofill was taking forever to fill system after I drained it down to swap out air vent and relief valve, as well as, install 2 new outside sipgots. Is that an indication that is bad, a very slow fill time? Is water leaking form air vent a sign that the Extrol tank is bad? Thanks shacko

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
As Abraham Lincoln once said, "If I call a dog's tail a leg, how many legs does it have?" You can call something anything you want to but that does not change what it is.

A furnace is whatever you want it to be;
fur·nace

   /ˈfɜr
thinsp.png
nɪs
/ Show Spelled [fur-nis] Show IPA noun, verb, -naced, -nac·ing.
–noun 1. a structure or apparatus in which heat may be generated, as for heating houses, smelting ores, or producing steam.

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is the pressure constantly at 27 lbs? You may have overcharged the system when filling it. Try bringing the pressure down to about 15 psi then watch to see if it goes back up right away. If thats the case I would suspect the auto fill valve/ PRV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks