tub fill faucet on a vertical wall

Users who are viewing this thread

69gtocv

Reaction score
As the title indicates, I'm putting in a jacuzzi tub and would like to have the faucet come from a vertical wall next to the tub and fill the tub that way instead of having it mounted to the flat tub flange or the platform next to it. Do they make such a faucet, didn't see any at the box stores tonight.

Jeff

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Use a standard tub filler, and get a long(er) spout. You can find both single handle and dual handle tub valves. Most of the two handle ones are thermostatically controlled (which I like, but cost more) verses a pressure balanced one. While a 1/2" valve will work, to fill the tub faster (if your supply lines can be 3/4"), go with a 3/4" valve. Expect a 1/2" valve to provide about 6-8 gpm (depending on how hot the WH is set - higher, means mixing more cold, which increases the total volume), while a 3/4" valve can provide over twice that flow (if the pipes are big enough).

69gtocv

Reaction score
Jim, I take it a longer spout is an option on a standard tub faucet then? I'll have to do some research. I haven't started my supply lines yet but am probably going with a Pex based manifold and doing a home run layout. Looking at the Manabloc instructions, they sugguest using a 1/2" manifold and continue that size for the high volume fixtures like the tub/shower/clothes washer and reducing down to 3/8" for the other fixtures. They claim upsizing beyond that just increases the wait time for hot water to arrive. Your thoughts?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
How many gallons in your jacuzzi tub? If it's 50 gallons, and you limit yourself to 4 gallons per minute, for example, it will take 12+ minutes to fill it. By the way, have you analyzed the hot water supply necessary to fill a large tub?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can put the valve anywhere. You could put the spout on the ledge of the tub, or on the wall. There are some that have a long reach and some that come out as a waterfall. For filling a large tub, I'd want at least 3/4" pex or maybe even 1", then reduce to a (preferably) 3/4" valve. If the supply lines into the house aren't at least 3/4" copper (and preferably more that goes all the way to and through the WH), you'll be dissapointed in the fill time. While 1/2" pex to the tub would work, the gpm would be moderately low. The ID of pex is smaller than copper, so 1/2" pex can flow less than 1/2" copper. Not a problem for most things, but a multi-head shower, large tub, outside hoses, etc., anywhere where you want max flow, you may be dissapointed with 1/2". 3/8 to a vanity sink is probably fine, since those valves are flow-restricted anyways, but not a tub filler.

Yes, larger pipes will take longer to purge of cooled off water, but you also have the option of recirculation, and then the delay is non-existent (or at least small).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks