Noisy PRV

Users who are viewing this thread

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is there a solution to noisy pressure regulator valves? I was on a job last week that one of the customer complaints is a noise from the water heater. I found that the PRV is next to the water heater and is the source of the noise. It really makes a racket when the washing machine is filling. When I slowly closed the valve to the water heater the noise slowly diminished. The incoming water pressure is 150 PSI and the line pressure on the other side of the PRV is 50 PSI. The plumbing in this house is very high quality work to code, built in the 1980's, all copper pipe. The PRV is free standing (not in the ground) and is mounted on the water supply line in the basement of the house. The house is also outfitted with a solar water heating unit which is some 15 to 20 feet from the PRV. Oh yeah, water supply shut off valve is a ball valve as is most valves on the system other than some of the supply stop valves and the bibs for the washing machine which is about 30 ft from the PRV.

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Is the PRV installed backwards? That WILL cause a shrill noise.

that was the first thing I looked for... might be worth taking a second look at it to see if I looked at it correctly.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks