Need to adjust water level in toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

glorygirl

Reaction score
The water level in my toilet tank is too high and running into the overflow tube. I tried bending the float arm downward to get the water to shut off faster. Didn't work. I also tried moving the chain further up on the arm. To no avail. Is this something I can actually fix myself, or should I call a plumber?
Thank!

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
toilet

Will the water stop filling the tank if you pull up on the float rod?

glorygirl

Reaction score
No, it doesn't. and if I pull up too far, it just starts flushing the toilet again.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
water level

If you can use channel locks ( adjustable pliers ) and a screwdriver, you can change the fill valve and the flapper ( it's hooked to the trip level or handle).
Most hardwares will have a KORKY or a FLUIDMASTER fill valve.
If you have a flapper that holds the water in, replace it with a red KORKY flapper............

glorygirl

Reaction score
Is that easy enough for a non-plumber, non-fixer person to do?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
toilet

It's hard to judge what you can do.
I want to share this statement. I found over the years that I could analize costomer problems better if I talked to the lady of the house. She sometimes had more common sense. Also many women were not afraid to give it a try and were able to repair or replace.
How else does one gain confidence?
Don't forget to turn the water off..............

glorygirl

Reaction score
Thanks for the vote of confidence!! Being single, working mother, I've learned to do a lot on my own, and have been able to teach it to my two sons. Yes, and I WILL remember to turn the water off, you don't make that mistake twice, that's for sure!

Thanks for your help.

Terry - this is a great website, been telling all my friends about it!

glorygirl

glorygirl

Reaction score
I did it!! But, now have another question....

Hi, just wanted to let you all know that I replaced the Refill Valve and Flapper all by myself!! Whoo! Hoo!! Everything looks fine, except I do have an additional question.....the tank seems to be taking a long time to refill. What do I need to adjust?
Thanks again for all your help!
GloryGirl

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
It's the valve where you shut off the water to replace the fill valve... located at the bottom right of the toilet (when facing the wall and toilet). Make sure that puppy's open. Flush the toilet and while the tank is filling, check that water is coming out of the small flexible tube (it clips to the overflow tube) - how's that pressure once the valve is open? There could be a little debris caught in there between the supply valve and this tube... sometimes requires you to pull those bits apart and check it.

glorygirl

Reaction score
The supply valve is opened up all the way. The tube/connections look fine and clean. The water coming out of the tube into the overfill tube looks like it's coming out forcefully, although kind of spraying, not running out. It just seems like the bowl is emptying slower and the tank is refilling slower (and much noisier) than with the old set-up. Maybe I need to get used to the difference and the different sound of it all??

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a look at the instructions, and take the valve apart (usually just a twist lock). Take the rubber washer out and check for dirt. Taking things apart might have stirred up some debris. Second thing, make sure that the water level is at the proper height (there is usually some sort of mark in the toilet tank - a line or arrow or something). If the water doesn't get to that height, adjust the filler so it does - that will affect the overall flush. Last, some flapper valves can be adjusted to close at various levels - if the flapper closes too early, there is not enough flow. If you have a flapper set to close too early, it will not flush well, either.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks