Sterling Ensemble how much mortar?

Users who are viewing this thread

sirgloves

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've been reading posts on here for a while and learning a lot but I have a very specific question I can't seem to find anywhere. If anyone could help I would appreciate it greatly!

I purchased a Sterling ensemble tub (60 X 32 ) and am about to do the mortar bed installation. The instructions call for a 2" bed although I believe I'm going to follow Terry's "piles" installation approach.

My question is for this specific tub how much mortar do I need? I know there isn't an exact answer , I'm just looking for some ballpark number of pounds. I don't want to end up with a lot of extra mortar or even worse end up with not enough and having it begin to cure on the subfloor then have to scrape it off and start all over again.

I purchased an 80 lb bag of quickcrete mortar already and thought that would be enough but now I'm not exactly sure.

BTW, the floor is level so this isn't going to be used for leveling.

Thanks for you help!!

Taffy

Reaction score
Using the pile method, the 80 pound bag is plenty.
Maybe even half the bag is plenty.

I set my Sterling ensemble tub without mortar. It has been set for a few weeks and now it has a small crack on the top edge close to the drain end. Is this caused because of no mortar. These tubs have good structure and feet under them. What can I do now to remedy this? Without removing the tub. All tile is set.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks