(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Shut off valve for wall-mounted faucet?

Default Shut off valve for wall-mounted faucet?

Just wanted to confirm that a shut-off valve is required when installing wall-mounted bathroom sink faucet. I'm quite sure it's "yes," for obvious reasons (working on plumbing without having to shut off water main), but why aren't they required for pot-fillers over the stovetop - or are they required there, as well? Haven't decided whether we're going with a true vanity/vessel sink combo (whereby a valve wouldn't show) or a pedestal sink - then we have to pick an attractive vessel sink drain/shut-off kit.

Thanks.

Oops...once I posted this, I got some other hits with similar question. I'd be interested in feedback nonetheless!

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Not sure if it is required, but it is sure a lot more convenient!
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I have NOT installed any so far, and no inspector has even asked for them. My opinion they are no different than a tub/shower valve which also do not have them.

Thanks! That's our rationale for not installing one.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

I have fitted shut-offs to my tub and shower and I'd probably add them to that sink as well. Just 'cos an inspector does not ask for them, doesn't mean that they are a bad idea.

If all I did was the minimum to keep the inspector happy, my house would be falling down!

We usually do more than is minimally required in our home improvement projects, but I just can't seem to find a shut-off valve that doesn't look like it should be hidden under the toilet or behind a cabinet! With all of the high-end improvements we've made, I'd like it as clean-looking as possible. But your point is well-taken.

Thanks everyone for your advice!

Very FEW installations have "valves fitted to the tub/shower valves". They either come with integral stops, and those are few and far between except for certain multifamily installations, or they do not use them. I cannot remember the last one I installed which had integral stops. But I DO remember the last one I worked on which had integral stops which were inoperable, which is usually the case.

I pipe from the wall mount faucet down and turn the piping out high under the cabinet/ counter, then install male adapters (either sweat or compression) after the cabinet/counter is installed, then connect with a flex just like a reg faucet. It is very convenient and as long as you have your elevations down you can make it look very neat/ proffesional.

Senior Robin Hood Guy Ian Gills's Avatar

They do some nice looking angle stops as well. I like the ones Terry uses on here, but I can never seem to find them.

For the tub/shower I just solder on a couple of Apollo ball valves leading up to the valve, all hidden by the access panel.