Vent stacks and main

Users who are viewing this thread

KathyER

Reaction score
What are the symptoms of clogged vent stacks?

I've had my sewer line (is this called the lateral?) cleaned this week -- twice. And the city has checked their end of the line and gave the all clear. Why don't the plumbers check the vent stack when they are here? Yes, the main was clogged first time. Second time, found only a small stoppage at the tie in... they ran about 100+ line.

One toilet.. the one on the back end.. still doesn't like to flush and makes bubble sounds when I run the sink next to it for a minute. It flushes well with nothing in it.. I've noticed.

Are plumbers like us computer people... trouble-shoot one step at a time? If something is working... leave.. then come back if things act up, still?

I would just like to have someone confirm that everything is ok and it is just the sewer line out front giving me fits. I don't have the funds, yet, for a camera...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vents

We do not check the vent stacks because we have to go up on the roof to do. I have never even seen a "plugged" vent stack in 55+ years, except when an installer left an obstruction during construction. A plugged vent will not cause a drainage problem unless you also have another "major" problem with the sewer. And if the sewer is operating properly, a plugged vent will make the sink or toilet drain better. Enough reasons?

KathyER

Reaction score
Really? Never seen a clogged vent stack? A few months ago, I saw one while watching "This Old House" on tv. It was leave debre, basically.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
stack

Did you tell the sewer guy that you wanted your sewer cleaned or did you tell him what you see as symptoms?
You should let the repair man figure the rest for himself and if he didn't then shame on him,

Once in a great while a stack will collect a birds nest. Leaves can get in, but they don't collect unless there is an off-set in the stack just below the roof .
The worst plugged stack I have seen was plugged with a squirrel. Have also seen them right into the toilet riser.

KathyER

Reaction score
I explained the problem... and let them DX the problem. I do ask if it could be this or that, and why or why not so I will learn.
The last plumber told me to call him back if the one toilet still gave me problems after the line was cleared, then he would look at the next thing that could be causing it problems. He did flush it several times after the line was cleared and it worked fine. But, once I really used it... well, it went back to being annoying.

Unfortuately, I had a vet emergency a few days after the plumbing emergency, so I'm drained of funds to have anything done about the toilet. It just ticks me that I tell all 3 plumbers about the toilet issue...and they all blame the main.

Thanks...

gracesutton

Reaction score
sewer vent

I kept having bubbling in my pipes, so in Dec I had the septic tank drained. That seemed to fix it for a short while. The bubbling has started again and is getting worse. It seems that my home's previous owner did his own work and as a result it seems that many things aren't up to code. My sewer vent comes up from the ground at the back of my house. I have looked in it and seen the leaves so I'm thinking it is clogged. My inclination is to try sucking it out with a shop vac. What are your thoughts on it?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Grace your drain needs to be cleaned.
What you describe, if it is a vent may be a vent for a house trap.

For the fastest possible resolution I would recommend calling a pro...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks