Briggs Vacuity will not flush completely

Users who are viewing this thread

PaintballX

Reaction score
I have just installed a new BRIGGS Vacuity toilet and it will not flush completely. The bowl fills and the water drains but the bowl never completely empties. I have verified (the best I can) that everything was assembled correctly. The first one I installed did not flush, I verified that the drain was clear and would handle a lot of flow (by putting a garden hose into the drain and turning it on full force). When I had determined the problem was not the drain I purchased another bowl thinking the problem was a defect in the manufacturing. To my disappointment the new bowl, once installed, functioned exactly like the first.

Any help/suggestions in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

PaintballX

Reaction score
Thank you - further question

Terry,

Thank you very much for your quick response. I read the information in the link you provided but I do not understand the following comment:

"Briggs is aware of a "slumped" trapway quality control issue. With the vacuum design if the trapway is slumped, it won't work right. "

How can I tell if I have a "slumped trapway" and could I have actually purchased two bowls with the same problem? I am installing this toilet under new construction conditions. If this is normal flushing as was indicated by a few of the other posts should I just return the BRIGGS and if so what would you recommend I purchase?

Thanks again, this is very helpful. This site is great, I have never used this forum setup before but I can see myself here more often.

Mike

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Vacuity at it's best was not all that much.
It seems from reader comments that things may be going downhill for them.
I have toilet reviews on the link below.

You could try increasing the duration of the flush by adjusting the float on the flapper.

hognfrog

Reaction score
Briggs Vacuity Will not flush..what I found out!!!!

I had the same problem!!!!
It started when the flapper was leaking, so I removed the tank and replaced the entire flapper and tube but when put back togeather it would NOT flush all the way, solids would move through the toilet, but paper would be left floating.
I dumped a bucket of water into the bowl and it quickly flowed through so I knew it was not blocked/plugged. Everything inside of the tank was working and not leaking so I knew that was OK.
I tried plunging just to make sure there was no obstruction in the bowl, I blocked the vacuum tube in the tank (Under the jug) and while plunging I heard a hissing sound....finally figured out the VACUUM SEAL GASKET was not sealing and I had a air leak (no vacuum) I reseated the worn gasket ( I was unable to find a replacement locally & I only have 1 toilet in the house) with a silacone caulking, let set up and everything now works fine.
I like my Briggs Vacuity, never had a major problem in 10 yrs of use.
This was a frustrating ordeal because I never even thought to look at the Vacuum Seal Gasket. (Briggs Plumbing part/model # B351312 which replaces 500056..cost $4.00 "IF" you can find one!!!)

lonsteve

Reaction score
Thanks for describing what happened to you

That sounds like what happened to us with our Briggs Vacuity toilet. It has worked well, also, for a long time but as soon as we replaced the flapper it seems to have lost it's vacuum. I had posted earlier about it. We will try this solution. i will post again if it works or doesn't. Thanks!;)

Lou Donkle

Reaction score
Had same problem on 2 Briggs Vacuity toilets. Problem was a leaky seal/gasket on the vacuum assist tube between the tank and the bowl. Part may be hard to find, but I used a ton of plumbers putty and it worked great. Toilet now flushes like new!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks