abs connectors

Users who are viewing this thread

GoIrish89

Reaction score
I am roughing in drains in my basement before having slab poured. When connecting two 2" fittings, say a 45 degree bend connected to a wye, do I need to use connectors or can I just cut a piece of 2" pipe and use that?

Thanks,

Bob

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's no way to safely butt-weld pipe together, so you need to insert pipe into a hub of a connector.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure, but there may be a street ell fitting that would allow you to connect a regular 45 and the street ell 45. Otherwise, a short nipple will do it. I would point out that you can not "dry fit" ABS or PVC pipes. These use an interference fit which prevents the pieces from bottoming out without the solvent being applied first. If you try to dry fit, two things will happen. First, you will play hell trying to separate the pieces and when you make the real connection, you will lose about 1/4" per joint. You have to cut and fit as you go.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Cut and glue a pipe to connect fittings.
They assemble with a slight twisting motion.
Glue on the pipe and the hub; and quickly. Time is of the essence

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I am NOT sure what you mean by "connectors" but if you even have to ask this question, the next one would be, "Are you even experienced enough to install the drains properly as a DIY project"? The answer would usually be a resounding, NO!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks