convert NEMA 6-20R outlet to standard 110 outlet?

Users who are viewing this thread

cham33

Reaction score
I have a NEMA 6-20R outlet that went to an old air conditioner. The new AC uses a regular 110 outlet - 3 prong. So basically I have hot, hot, ground but I need hot, neutral, ground. What is the easiest way to go about doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. First time poster so go easy on me ;)

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Electrically, it would work if at the panel end you took one leg of the 240 and repurposed it to the neutral bus. You would tape both ends with white tape to identify it as a neutral. We will wait for one of our electricians to tell us if this is allowd by codes.

cham33

Reaction score
Electrically, it would work if at the panel end you took one leg of the 240 and repurposed it to the neutral bus. You would tape both ends with white tape to identify it as a neutral. We will wait for one of our electricians to tell us if this is allowd by codes.

Thanks! As of right now it has a hot that is white (not properly marked as hot). I inherited this home recently so it wasn't my doing. The house is old and has a fuse box, it has 2-30amp "Edison base" fuses for this circuit. I also found two 5–15R's outside under a deck, just plain old indoor rated receptacles and they were hot so I removed the fuse until I can replace them. Apparently such practices are common in this rural area of TN so I take nothing as a given.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks