(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: convert NEMA 6-20R outlet to standard 110 outlet?

Hybrid View

Question convert NEMA 6-20R outlet to standard 110 outlet?

I have a NEMA 6-20R outlet that went to an old air conditioner. The new AC uses a regular 110 outlet - 3 prong. So basically I have hot, hot, ground but I need hot, neutral, ground. What is the easiest way to go about doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. First time poster so go easy on me
    Last edited by cham33; 08-15-2010 at 01:43 AM.

Electrically, it would work if at the panel end you took one leg of the 240 and repurposed it to the neutral bus. You would tape both ends with white tape to identify it as a neutral. We will wait for one of our electricians to tell us if this is allowd by codes.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Electrically, it would work if at the panel end you took one leg of the 240 and repurposed it to the neutral bus. You would tape both ends with white tape to identify it as a neutral. We will wait for one of our electricians to tell us if this is allowd by codes.
    Thanks! As of right now it has a hot that is white (not properly marked as hot). I inherited this home recently so it wasn't my doing. The house is old and has a fuse box, it has 2-30amp "Edison base" fuses for this circuit. I also found two 5–15R's outside under a deck, just plain old indoor rated receptacles and they were hot so I removed the fuse until I can replace them. Apparently such practices are common in this rural area of TN so I take nothing as a given.