Sub floor sequencing

Users who are viewing this thread

68guns

Reaction score
New Home Construction....My question is , Do you place the subfloor (ply ,cement board etc) down before you place the tub? ..ie..tub on top of ply and cement board. Also in regards to tiling, Do you tile the floor first and then place the cabinents(bath,kitchen) on top of the tile? Great site ..thanks

Jc60618

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
Yes you place the subfloor first then set the tub. Otherwise the tub will be sitting right on top of the joist rather than the subfloor. Also it is better to tile the room first then set the cabinets. If you set the cabinets first then tile, you will be spending more time cutting the tiles to accomodate the perimeter of the cabinets.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
No need for cbu under the tub. You might want to put an extra layer of ply there to bring the tub closer to the level of the tile. Assuming it has an attached finished panel, you may not want it burried too far beneath the floor. Make sure you follow the instructions on the cbu installation: thinset it down, and screw (or nail with dipped, not electroplated galvanized nails). Before or while you set the tile, use the special alkalai resistent mesh tape on the seams. If you do it while tiling, you won't end up with 'speed bumps'. If you are using a very expensive tile, you could avoid them under the vanity, but if you ever remodel, and don't want to change the floor, you'll wish you did! Also, the toilet flange should be on TOP of the finished floor. if you notch the tile prior to setting it, you won't have to drill holes to anchor the flange to the subflooring. If you are thinking about a stone tile, you need a second layer of plywood before the cbu, at least 3/8" thick, no 'D' sides. Check out www.johnbridge.com for help with tiling.

JamieB

Reaction score
Looking at your sequencing I don't see any waterproof pieces in there, are you planning on using something like Durock Tile Membrane? It is a moisture-proof barrier that looks like it could be great for bathroom and basement tile projects. Durock Tile Membrane is fast curing and easy to install because it comes on a roll but doesn’t curl back up like you would expect. I think it is an easy and cost-effective addition to any tile project.

I talked to a real estate friend of mine and she said this type of renovation could help increase the value to you home with just this addition to the project.

If you are curious check out their website for more information: www.durocktilemembrane.com/?cid=terrylove

I should say I work with Durock but I thought it might be a good addition to your project. Also, if you find your questions are more nitty-gritty feel free to contact me and can connect you with an expert.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks