Help needed for a water heater in the pasture?

Users who are viewing this thread

TJS

Reaction score
I have to place a heated self water in a pasture for the livestock and I am getting some conflicting information from a number of professionals.

Heater: 120 V and 400 w
300 ft. from service panel to the heater

Need to know:

1.) Size of wire?
2.) Size of conduit?

Thanks for your input
TJS

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would use #12 wires in 1/2" conduit, with metal rigid coming out of the ground to the "J" box. (No outlet and cord, because they will play with it or chew on it.)

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just can't resist adding this video of a water heater in a pasture.
Remember the PRV

This news story video shows the debris from the explosion in the home.

During their investigation, they found part of the water heater nearly 70 feet away from the building – it shot up through the roof, over a building and landed in a driveway. Debris was scattered more than 300 feet from the residence.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You might want to run it off of a GFCI breaker. I'm guessing this is to keep the drinking water from freezing in the winter?

TJS

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks to all of you that have replied to my question.
I know I did not mention a GFCI breaker, but I do intent on placing one in the service panel.

My concern was that I had serveral professionals told me that I had to use #10 wire because of the distance.

So off to the supply store for the materials and rent a back hoe.
Thanks again,

TJS

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks