A/C drain line trapped in series with tub trap

Users who are viewing this thread

Greenco

Reaction score
We're in the middle of an apartment remodel and just set the tub and noticed some popping/gurgling noise coming from the drain. A few days ago the indoor A/C unit leaked around the pan and the plumber removed the existing trap at the unit. Prior to removing the trap, we located the drain line connected to a tee that went to the tub trap. Apparently it's double trapped and either overflowed the other day or leaked enough around the drain pan to cause the carpet to get wet hence the reasoning behind removing the A/C drain line trap but in doing so caused the aforementioned noises. The plumber did fix a small hole in the drain pan so I requested to have the trap reinstalled and after some hesitation and a little arguing it got put back in and all is well again. Is there potential for this drain to back up or would the tub drain at worst just suck the water out of the A/C drain line trap?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Under no circumstances can you drain an AC line into a septic line.

Oh, Oh! Now you've done it. You have made ALL those installations where the City REQUIRES that the condensate drain be connected to the sewer system, ans NOT drain onto the ground, ILLEGAL. I guess that means we will have to put heaters on them and evaporate the water. Draining to the tub's connection AHEAD of the trap is perfectly okay, in fact there are overflow fittings made with a 3/4" tap to connect the condensate drain to them. It gives them TWO traps, but does NOT make them double trapped.

Greenco

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'll wait and see if any problems arise from this setup.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks