quarter turn angle valve1/2 sweat

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
I have a quarter turn angle valve 1/2 sweat. I am going to sweat it on the the 1/2 copper to connect the toilet.
Can someone confirm the steps:
1. Cut off exsiting rusted valve off 1/2 copper
2. Sand copper nub coming off wall
3. Attach vlalve on copper with flux
4. Heat both up and apply solder.

Heating the valve, with that screw it up at all? Just kind of stay away from the handle?

Let me know if I am missing anything. Obviously a rookie.

Bsperr

Reaction score
That procedure sounds basically right to me (except you just need to heat up the cup of the valve and the solder will be sucked in) but most of the pros seem to recommend a compression valve for supply stops so you don't have that overheating problem.

Last edited:

Coopns

Reaction score
I do have a compression valve as well, I bought both. The compression one is fine is it?

So I could use either, is one better then the other?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Compression is fine, put a couple drops of oil on the threads before you tighten.

>>> is one better then the other? <<<

If I answered that we would be here ages debating it over and over. :D

Bpetey

Reaction score
The compression is easier to install and replace (you'll need a sleeve puller). Most plumbers have one and it's a fast and easy job for them. Performance is the same for both so it's just a matter of ease of installation and removal.The solder has a potential to start a fire and or ruin your new valve if it's not heated properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks