(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Lennox / Copeland AC Compressor

Default Lennox / Copeland AC Compressor

I've got a Lennox M/N HS29-060-1p AC with Serial number 5899M43648

First installer says air compressor is bad and am waiting on a replacement with a verbal install price of $1800.

Now waiting for the part to come (cant tell us for sure when it will be in) and have called a couple other Lennox retailers , one indicating that Lennox cross references a Copeland compressor. 1st Lennox says that Copeland may require a retrofit and is not of as good of a quality. Is this true? My other calls are saying $2100 and up to $2500 for install. Apparetnly the Copeland is readily available, and the Lennox compressor is "on its way." Any feedback on the Copeland vs. the Lennox?

AC went out Sunday, Omaha NE, Humid and 96-97 degrees again today. So hoteling it.

It is not an AIR compressor, it is just "the" compressor.

Lenox does not make compressors. The original might have been a copeland, a bristol, or a tecumseh. As long as the specs are matched up, any good compressor will be a good replacement. Depending on the tons...a replacement compressor will cost the installer between $400 and $800. About 20% more if it is a scroll rather than a recip. And if you buy the Lennox OEM compressor, add a couple hundred.

Depending on the failure mode, replacement could be easy, or if you had a burnout or something, a complete flush, evacuation, and replacement of several pounds of R22 at $10 to $30 per pound , may be needed. I would guess the job would run a couple of hours to 3 or 4 hours.

I never buy compressors from Lennox for replacement. I replace with a like compressor and buy an extended 5yr warranty for about the same price as the compresson from lennox.