do it yourself rebed

Users who are viewing this thread

skel

Reaction score
REcently moved into older home with old culligan system , very acidic water 6.0 need a rebed .Can I do this myself ? Where do I purchase the materials?

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Are you re-bedding the neutralizer? If so, pretty easy job provided you are handy with tools and such. You can get the media online.

skel

Reaction score
Hi Wally Hays !

Wally recently got your response to my rebed problem .I am interested in trying myself, got the tools and skills but I don't know the process please help.P.S. are those inline calcite filters for the whole house worth a try ? They are on line for $40 change every 8000 gallons under filter water .com Thankx again for your help!
Skel

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Obtain the media

Turn off water and drain pressure off system ( or shut off valves to filter if equipped )

Unplug power to valve head

Un-do unions or cut the pipes

carefully unscrew the valve head

invert tank and dump old media

be very careful with the distributor tube thats in the tank. Do not force it out or it will break

flush out tank

replace media

reverse installation

back wash the media

put filter into service

big dripper

Reaction score
Wally recently got your response to my rebed problem .I am interested in trying myself, got the tools and skills but I don't know the process please help.P.S. are those inline calcite filters for the whole house worth a try ? They are on line for $40 change every 8000 gallons under filter water .com Thankx again for your help!
Skel

In-line acid neutralizing filters will rarely be effective. One of the important factors is contact time between the water and the media. If water passes through too quickly, the contact time would be too brief and the pH will not rise (to 7.0 or higher) enough. Also, rebedding these sometimes takes a pressure washer if the bed had become solidified. Take to a location where you can do this with minimal 'clean-up' problems. At a pH of 6.0, you would need a larger media bed unless you were feeding something like an RO only.

Try a local plumbing supply store; they may have to special order it.

Last edited:

jimtum

AAW
Reaction score
You will need gravel in the bottom of the tank before you put your media in, I would also suggest using corosex. I have used a cu ft of it in a 1.5 cu ft tank and it brought up the ph from 6 to 8. You must be careful to not let it set too long without a regen because it can harden on you and you will have to throw away the entire tank.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
You will need gravel in the bottom of the tank before you put your media in, I would also suggest using corosex. I have used a cu ft of it in a 1.5 cu ft tank and it brought up the ph from 6 to 8. You must be careful to not let it set too long without a regen because it can harden on you and you will have to throw away the entire tank.

I believe that using 2/3 corosex and 1/3 calcite will give a pH of 10+ if you are treating water that has a pH of 6.

big dripper

Reaction score
I believe that using 2/3 corosex and 1/3 calcite will give a pH of 10+ if you are treating water that has a pH of 6.

I find hard to think that mixture would raise pH to 10+. Yes, if you use sodium hydroxide (NaOH), soda ash (Na2CO3) or some other liquid/powder basic solution, you can jack the pH up past 12. I have seen that happen. However, with mineral bases, once the pH raises to somewhat above seven, they cease to be reactive. The pH plateaus and remains constistant. These, however, will raise hardness level smarginally; whereas sodium hydroxide, etc., has no effect on hardness.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
I find hard to think that mixture would raise pH to 10+. Yes, if you use sodium hydroxide (NaOH), soda ash (Na2CO3) or some other liquid/powder basic solution, you can jack the pH up past 12. I have seen that happen. However, with mineral bases, once the pH raises to somewhat above seven, they cease to be reactive. The pH plateaus and remains constistant. These, however, will raise hardness level smarginally; whereas sodium hydroxide, etc., has no effect on hardness.

I have seen a 1 in 6 mixture of corosex and calcite raise 6.5 pH water to a pH of 10. Corosex is VERY reactive--which is why it is used with low pH water and in high flow situations. However if the water sits in the AN tank with lots of corosex --as it typically does in a residential setting-- the result can be uncomfortably high pH which can cause dry skin and itching for the homeowner.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks