Question on SDR 26 sewer line running under house

Users who are viewing this thread

TaosBuilder

Reaction score
On a very steep mountainous lot where heavy-walled SDR 26 gasketed sewer line is required outside of house by local town, we continued SDR 26 line under house footing and under future slab before sweeping up to connect to Schedule 40 drain line rough-in under rest of slab. Bedding is gravel.

State inspector has raised concerns about SDR 26, but based on rated burial depth (many 10s of feet) and well established integrity of gasketed fittings, intuitively SDR 26 should be okay. I believe some localities across country approve SDR 26 for sewer lines under buildings, but inspector claims under UPC 2006 must be Schedule 40 under slab.

Understand SDR 35 is not okay as it has thinner wall, but with thick wall of SDR 26 and associated stiffness, seems like SDR 26 with gasketed fittings should be bullet proof and arguably as good or better than foam core Schedule 40 drain lines under slab which are in common use locally.

Any experience / suggestions? Thanks!

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
What we think will mean nothing, it's what the inspector wants. Both he and you must go by the code in your area.

John

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I'm allowed to stub outside the foundations with ABS, but not licensed for side sewers.

Likewise, the side sewer guys aren't licensed to be inside the foundation.

Does it make sense? Huh? Maybe not, but it's what we do.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I can ever work on the "city" sewer in the street or easement, as long as I have adequate insurance. I do not lide SDR for ANYTHING. Since its i.d. is LARGER than sch 40 pipe and fittings, it would still create a slight obstruction at every fitting.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks