Whole house water conditioner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bustergordon

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I just moved into a house in an area with very hard water (roughly 12gpg). I can't have a water softener because of the sodium issue (my husband has a heart condition, so we're concerned about it). Our plumber recommended that we consider a whole house water conditioner, in particular, the EWS-1354 from Advanced Water Filters (linked here. Does anyone know anything about this? I only found a review of the smaller version, and the reviewer wasn't sure whether it was really doing anything.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes it works, but it is very expensive and when the media is exhausted it is very expensive to replace. You can go with a regular softener and use potassium chloride for the regeneration cycle or you can use a regular softener and salt and install a reverse osmosis filter for your drinking and cooking water. There is probably a local filtration or well & pump company that can advise you of the right equipment for your needs.

Bustergordon

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm somewhat less concerned about the cost than I am the effectiveness & impact on the plumbing. It seems like the cartridges only need to be replaced every 8-10 years, so while expensive, it's not a frequent replacement issue. We can't do the potassium chloride softener either (my husband's condition is electrical, and therefore he is sensitive to levels of sodium, magnesium & potassium).

Will this conditioner have any impact on water pressure, or should it maintain the same kind of water pressure? What about water usage - am I going to be using more water because of this type of system? It's hard to find good information on it and how it works.

Thanks!

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes, it will cause slightly lower water pressure but nothing that should be a problem
No, you will not be using more water than usual.
I am a bit skeptical of the 8 to 10 years before media replacement but obvbiously that depends a lot on your useage
Septic will make zero difference.

Cost wise though I would go with a standard softener and an Reverse Osmosis filter for drinking and cooking.

Bpetey

Reaction score
Does a typical softener actually add sodium to the water? If so I could never taste it.

NHmaster3015

Master Plumber
Reaction score
A very very small amount yes. Typically about as much as you get in a slice of white bread but for folks with a heart condition, even that is too much.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
I agree with the use of a softener and RO filter for the fridge and drinking. I have that and love it. It has worked out great and everyone loves the water from the RO faucet; the kids drink more water than soda!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks