PVC drain pipe and fitting in Southern California?

Users who are viewing this thread

Antonio4791

Reaction score
Hi all,

Does anyone know where I can buy PVC drain fittings and pipe in the Los Angeles area? Seems like a common item, but no one here seems sells it, not even the two plumbing supply places I tried.

Antonio4791

Reaction score
I have no strong preference for using PVC vs ABS, I am just wondering why it is not used at all in southern CA. There is nothing wrong with PVC, and as far as I can tell from looking at the code books, it is allowed in CA. Many people and books consider it to be the preferred material for DWV. The real reason it bothers me is that I ordered a Kerdi shower kit with PVC drain. Afterwards, I discover that no one in CA sells the fittings or pipe for it. I know I know, should have done my homework. But it is such a common item in other areas, I just assumed it was common here. It would be like and electrician discovering, "we don't use copper wire here, only aluminum". It's just strange to me, and I see no logical, scientific, legal, or code reason why CA and the southwest shouldn't use it.

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
Try contacting Aqua-Flo Supply. They are located at 11520 Jefferson Blvd. #100 in Culver City, CA. Phone is 310 915-5208. They have every fitting and pipe size imaginable.

Antonio4791

Reaction score
Thanks Yersmay. I called Aqua-Flo. They do not have PVC DWV fittings and pipe for indoor use. They have it only for drainage and irrigation purpose. I spoke with Jim there and he said ABS is required by code. I just read the section in the CA code book and it says PVC can be used. But that is only the state code. Many cities in the LA area I'm guessing have additionial codes excluding PVC..... Still this is baffling to me. It's like finding out that no grocery store or restaurant in your area serves Coke...they all have Pepsi only. Again, there's nothing wrong with ABS, it's just an odd thing to me that PVC is excluded for no good reason.

Antonio4791

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advice. Good news. I called Schluter directly. As I expected the ABS and PVC drains that come with the shower kits are identical except for a flange peice which is made of either ABS or PVC. They're going to ship me the ABS one free of charge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks