Fluidmaster fill valve older than 5 years? then replace????

Users who are viewing this thread

Edwardh1

Reaction score
I put in a replacement rubber washer from Fluidmaster on a 400 fill valve and the instructions said if your assembly was over 5 years old to buy a whole new fill valve, not replace just the washer?

Is that what is recommended by professionals?

Are the new fill valves cheaper in strength than the old ones? Everything seems to get cheaper

If you have commercial rental property what's the best fill valve for strength and reliability??- you don't want breaks or water leaks- lots of Fluidmasters sold - keep using them?

Thanks

index.php

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes the replacement of the entire fill valve is recommended but if you want to replace it once & most likely never have a problem again, purchase and install a brass ballcock.

*this is what I would do.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm not sure when the anti-siphon valve became mandatory, but that might be part of the recommendation. Other than that, the only wear part is the seal, and that is replaceable. I guess that the entire plastic body might become brittle if you had high chlorine levels (and especially if you use in-tank chemicals - DON'T). Other than that, no idea...

FMTech

Reaction score
I put in a replacement rubber washer from Fluidmaster on a 400 fill valve and the instructions said if your assembly was over 5 years old to buy a whole new fill valve, not replace just the washer?

Is that what is recommended by professionals?

Are the new fill valves cheaper in strength than the old ones? Everything seems to get cheaper

If you have commercial rental property what's the best fill valve for strength and reliability??- you don't want breaks or water leaks- lots of Fluidmasters sold - keep using them?

Thanks

The newer valves have a polyester shank that is much stronger and should last up to 10 years. My recommendations is to take a good look at your fill valve, if it is faded (liked it has been bleached) then replace it, however if it has a nice dark gray color and looks like it is new replace the top seal with Replacement Seal model 242.

If your not sure call a Fluidmaster Tech at 1-800-631-2011.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks