Plastic to plastic threaded fittings... use teflon or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

DavidTu

Reaction score
On a boat's fresh water system I had to replace a threaded hose fitting. I put on teflon tape thinking it would help seal better but no matter how tight I screwed the fittings together I still get drips. Now I am wondering if w/ plastic to plastic threaded fitting connectors, is using teflon causing the problem? (Any other ideas why it'd still leak?--it cannot be further tightened)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
One to two wraps max of tape is ok. Main cause of leakage on plastic threads is overtightening. Hand tight plus one/half to one full turn...that's it. You have proabably already distorted the threads.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Hand tight plus one/half to one full turn...that's it.

I have never seen a plastic thread NOT leak if that procedure was followed. I tighten them until they are TIGHT, regardless of how many turns it takes.

RinconVTR

Reaction score
Not using tape will not only allow leaks, but it can also "weld" the plastic together making disassembly almost impossible.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This type of thread is tapered and interference...to seal between the threads, you MUST use something, either tape or a pipe dope rated for use on the plastic pipe you have. Under an ideal world, 1/2-turn after finger tight MIGHT work, but don't count on it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks