Bathroom Fan Recommendations

Users who are viewing this thread

Coopns

Reaction score
I have to bathrooms' - 50 sq. and 45 sq. They don't currently have fans.
Fan recommendations with light, I would like a good one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Check out the Panasonic line...they are quiet and well made.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Here is just one example, from Broan> http://www.broan.com/display/router.asp?ProductID=100413 . Although a 50 or 70 CFM would spec out for your small rooms, I strongly recommend higher CFM. Having plenty of ventilation is the number 1 way to elimiate any mold/mildew issues. And since you have to live with this for a long time, I also recommend spending the bucks to get a quiet fan. Personally I consider 1.0 sones to be the maximum I will accept for a bathroom fan, and you will probably pay $200+ for that. The best Broans are pretty good, and the Panasonics mentioned are top of the line for this application. Also pricey.

CarlH

Reaction score
I'll add in another vote for the Panasonic fans. I prefer their Whisper Green (VK in the part number) followed by their Whisper Ceiling (VQ in the part number). Both are available with a light. For Broan/Nutone you should stick with there top of the line units. I think that is the QTXE series. A 50 CFM fan is about the right sized for your bathrooms, but if you have a reasonably long duct run you should definitely bump it to a 80 CFM unit or if you want to extra insurance against moisture build up go with the 80 CFM. If you shop around, you should be able to find a good one for less than $200. If you add in extra bells and whistles like humidity sensing that will push you over $200 for sure. In my opinion, the extra money spent on a quiet fan is worth it.

Last edited:

Coopns

Reaction score
Last edited:

TWEAK

Reaction score
My choice came down to Panasonic and Broan. I selected the Broan becasue it had all the features I wanted, and was in stock locally. It senses humidity and turns the fan on & off based on that. It also has a flourescent lamp, and a night light. I also like them quiet... but I wouldn't go nuts. If you can't hear it running you can't tell when it's broken. I can't remember how many sones mine is - you can hear it - barely.

I am using an LED bulb in place of the standard 4W nightlight bulb. The LED bulb was about $7 and has a slight bluish cast to it, but draws less than a watt, and should last a very long time. I rigged it to a photoswitch pointing at the window. The regular flourescent lamp is wired into the same circuit as the overhead can lights. It all seems to be working well.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with or recommendations for Fantech fans? I'm intrigued by their remote fan set up.

http://residential.fantech.net/residential-products/bath/

Fantec stuff is nice. I ended up using a Solatube tubular skylight with a remote fan, which is similar in that the fan is remoted away from the room. If, like my bathroom, you don't have a window, it makes a huge difference in the room. The skylight reflects the equivalent of a 300W light into the room, and even on a moonlit night, provides enough light to see where you're going. Highly recommended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks