pipe size /max length of run for kitchen, Canada Code

Users who are viewing this thread

Philbert

Reaction score
hello
I have been asked to rough in a new kitchen, it has 1 double sink and a dishwasher beside it, the soil pipe is 25 to 30 feet away, I don't want to run 3 inch all the way if it isnt needed , thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Even IF 1 1/2" would be approved, there is no way I would EVER use it for anything other than a vent. I ALWAYS use 2" minimum for my drain lines.

Philbert

Reaction score
the problem I am having is that if I seach online for a quote from the npc I get a vague reference to some "complicated table" in the plumbing code book which I can acces online unless I pay for it or order a copy of the code book for a price of course,if ther is no restriction all the better, although I will likely use 2 inch anyways, ohhh the 25 to 30 foot run is a sloped run not a drop ifin that changes anything

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is not a "complicated table" at least not in the books down here. Each fixture is desinated by a number which correlates to how much water is likely to go in it. The number is called "fixture units". In the UPC, a kitchen sink is 2 FU. By the simple table, the maximum # of FU on a horizontal 1½" pipe, beyond the trap arm, is ONE. So the sink needs to drain into a 2" lateral. The horizontal length ( with 1/4" per foot slope minimum) is unlimited.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
hello
I have been asked to rough in a new kitchen, it has 1 double sink and a dishwasher beside it, the soil pipe is 25 to 30 feet away, I don't want to run 3 inch all the way if it isnt needed , thanks

1.5" is perfectly acceptable as long as you pick up your vent within 6'.

I usually have a 1.5" fixture drain picked up by a 2x1.5x1.5" tee.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I haven't seen 1.5 for kitchens since the 50's in the lower 48, not Canada though.

Here we use a 2" waste line until the vent, and then a 1.5" trap arm. we are allowed 42" for the 1-1/2" trap arm.

I guess the Canadian code for kitchen plumbing is pretty weak.

Last edited:

Plumber1979

Certified Plumber
Reaction score
im a plumber here in Ontario and its just fine to use 1 1/2 on a kitchen and it 5' for the vent

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
1-1/2" is fine. trap arm max is 5' (1.5m). cleanout required on fixture drain or union p-trap. cleanouts every 20' (6m).. you'll want to make sure your slope is right to keep a kitchen sink line that long, clear of grease etc.
secondly NPC is not what you need. you need to refer to the Ontario Building Code section 7 - Plumbing

Ontario Plumber

Plumber
Reaction score
1.5" is permitted by code providing the vent is connected within 5ft and there is a clean out every 6m. Personally with it being a kitchen drain which is subject to grease build up, I would use 2" with cleanout every 6m.

MikePlummer

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
the problem I am having is that if I seach online for a quote from the npc I get a vague reference to some "complicated table" in the plumbing code book which I can acces online unless I pay for it or order a copy of the code book for a price of course,if ther is no restriction all the better, although I will likely use 2 inch anyways, ohhh the 25 to 30 foot run is a sloped run not a drop ifin that changes anything

your posts suggest that your reply to the request of the customer should have been " I don't know plumbing - perhaps you should consult a plumber "

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

The code is a "minimum standard", and I do not know any "competent" plumber who has ever had to snake a sink drain who would use less than 2". With 3" you run into the problem of NO "self scouring" because the velocity is too slow. Use 2"!!!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks