Help - Rainsoft Water Softener

Users who are viewing this thread

westindies

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My rainsoft water softener, model AMB744 is not using the salt in the brine tank and the motor seems to be running non-stop. I removed most of the salt from the brine tank and I can see the brine solution in the tank, but it's not moving.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot the system? I've attached a couple of pics on the system.

Thanks for your response.
WI

Attachments

• IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 3,345
  • IMG_0331.jpg
    IMG_0331.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 6,025
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 4,201

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
I just fixed one of these last week. Don't see them very much anymore. The check ball housing in the pic should have water in it. If it's not filling, it will not soften. Remove the brine line and advance the unit to a fill cycle. If no water comes, put unit on byapss, relieve the pressure and remove the check ball housing. Check the port (I believe the bottom) for debri. You should be able to blow into it.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My rainsoft water softener, model AMB744 is not using the salt in the brine tank and the motor seems to be running non-stop. I removed most of the salt from the brine tank and I can see the brine solution in the tank, but it's not moving.

Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot the system? I've attached a couple of pics on the system.

WI

If the unit is always running, the motor not stopping at the service point then there is a mirco switch that is bad or a wire not right, thus letting it continue cycling.

Not pulling the brine is a plug in the injector... never did like that valve............ pain in the rear to work on..

I have 2 or 3 in the junk pile.............

westindies

Reaction score
Skip, Thank you for your prompt response, it's greatly appreciated. The check ball housing does not have any water in it currently, I remove the brine line and advanced the unit (not sure which setting it should be on, brine soak, rinse etc) waited for a few mins and didn't see any brine solution. Since the brine line was the only connect from the brine tank to the other unit, I removed the brine tank and washed it out I also clean out the housing which the brine line connects to.

Should I go ahead and add a bag of salt to the brine tank, put the unit back to softener mode? How does the unit generate the brine solution, do i need to add some water to the brine tank? Also, on which setting (brine, soak, rinse, fast brine), should I set the dial?

Thanks again!
WI

I just fixed one of these last week. Don't see them very much anymore. The check ball housing in the pic should have water in it. If it's not filling, it will not soften. Remove the brine line and advance the unit to a fill cycle. If no water comes, put unit on byapss, relieve the pressure and remove the check ball housing. Check the port (I believe the bottom) for debri. You should be able to blow into it.

westindies

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Where is valve you refer to that might be plugged?

If the unit is always running, the motor not stopping at the service point then there is a mirco switch that is bad or a wire not right, thus letting it continue cycling.

Not pulling the brine is a plug in the injector... never did like that valve............ pain in the rear to work on..

I have 2 or 3 in the junk pile.............

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
The injector if I remember right is on the back side, follow the tube under the clear that has the little ball.. in that area there is a standard screw plug that can be removed,,, I would have to go and pull one out of the pile to double check, it was not easy to remove for cleaning I do remember.

westindies

Reaction score
UPDATE - the system is currently in bypass mode, and the check ball housing is filled with water. I completely washed the brine tank and I put a fresh bag of salt into the tank. I'll switch it to softener mode again but I would like to know which setting ( brine, soak, rinse ) should I set the dial to?

Thanks!

Hello everyone,

WI

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
UPDATE - the system is currently in bypass mode, and the check ball housing is filled with water. I completely washed the brine tank and I put a fresh bag of salt into the tank. I'll switch it to softener mode again but I would like to know which setting ( brine, soak, rinse ) should I set the dial to?

Thanks!
Just starting it into a cleaning or regen cycle and the timer on the control should take over and do the rest of the cycles.. normally the first part of a cycle is Back Wash..

westindies

Reaction score
Just starting it into a cleaning or regen cycle and the timer on the control should take over and do the rest of the cycles.. normally the first part of a cycle is Back Wash..

When in softener mode, the system is not generating any brine, but the housing with the ball is filled with water, once in softener mode, the housing has no water. I put a bag of salt in the brine tank yesterday and the salt is still dry. Did you had a chance to check where the injector is?

Thanks!

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Cycle should be backwash, brine draw, rapid rinse and then brine refill..
When the unit is in service(giving soft water to house) there should be water in that clear housing..
Did not have the chance yet, will try today..

westindies

Reaction score
The unit goes throught all the cycles, but the brine tank still has no liquid so it's not generating any brine solution, in addition, the housing with the ball is still empty once the unit is in softener mode. Any suggestions on what could be the issue?

Thanks!

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
The unit goes throught all the cycles, but the brine tank still has no liquid so it's not generating any brine solution, in addition, the housing with the ball is still empty once the unit is in softener mode. Any suggestions on what could be the issue?

Thanks!

Check the port (I believe the bottom) for debri. You should be able to blow into it.

westindies

Reaction score
Skip, are you refering to port B which i indicate on the pic, this line is connected from the housing with the ball to a port on the assembly atop the resin tank?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 3,065

Skip Wolverton

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.servicemagic.com
Yes port B was blocked on me and I took off the air check, plugged port A and tried to blow thru the bottom. That is when I found debri blocking the hole. The hole looks to be a built in flow control for the brine fill.

Lawyr

Reaction score
Greetings all.....very new here,

.....i decided to connect a used rainsoft softener unit as being discussed here in make and model that has been sitting in my garage for quite some time.... what have done is make some temporary connections inputting a garden hose to the input port on the valve and have left the "outlet" open to run onto the ground...i have a lot of iron in my CITY water and thusly, bought a "test" bag of particulate matter (salt) that specifically removes IRON and have emptied it into the large tank.

.....i have powered the unit on and have set the time on the timer.....i put approx 1 gallon of water into the large tank....turning the hose on, i get flow exiting the valve onto the ground.

.....i am unsure as to HOW to set the valve and to even be sure that the unit it functioning correctly...my game plan is to be sure all is well BEFORE cutting my pipes for the full install....

....in the clear "filter/float device" i have just a bit of water inside, however, if i block up the output side with my hand, it will fill all the way up AND, i notice that there is a bit of water flowing into the brine tank....(must i have the output end closed up for water pressure to test?)......

...this is the 1st softener i have ever owned and would rather test it before connections are made.....i am shortly going to the store to see if i can pick up some iron test strips...thanks for any help i can get!

Lawyr

Reaction score
Greetings all.....very new here,

.....i decided to connect a used rainsoft softener unit as being discussed here in make and model that has been sitting in my garage for quite some time.... what have done is make some temporary connections inputting a garden hose to the input port on the valve and have left the "outlet" open to run onto the ground...i have a lot of iron in my CITY water and thusly, bought a "test" bag of particulate matter (salt) that specifically removes IRON and have emptied it into the large tank.

.....i have powered the unit on and have set the time on the timer.....i put approx 1 gallon of water into the large tank....turning the hose on, i get flow exiting the valve onto the ground.
***NEW QUESTION; DOES THE BRINE TANK FILL UP AND IF SO, HOW FAR?.

.....i am unsure as to HOW to set the valve and to even be sure that the unit it functioning correctly...my game plan is to be sure all is well BEFORE cutting my pipes for the full install....
***NEW QUESTION; THE VALVE WAS FROZEN BUT, I WAS UNABLE TO FREE IT UP. THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD MARKED ARROWS ON THE BYPASS VALVE. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO USE THE VALVE BUT, DOES ANYONE HAVE THE CORRECT H2O INPUT SECTION ON THE BYPASS VALVE TO BE SURE THE PREVIOUS OWNER DIDN'T SCREW UP? I WOULD HATE TO INPUT THE H20 INTO THE WRONG SECTION

....in the clear "filter/float device" i have just a bit of water inside, however, if i block up the output side with my hand, it will fill all the way up AND, i notice that there is a bit of water flowing into the brine tank....(must i have the output end closed up for water pressure to test?)......
REINSTATE QUESTION; MUST I HAVE THE OUTPUT END OF THE BYPASS VALVE BLOCKED UP TO TEST AND FOR WATER TO BE FORCED THROUGH THE FILTER?

...this is the 1st softener i have ever owned and would rather test it before connections are made.....thanks for any help i can get!
NEW STATEMENT; ISN'T THERE ANYONE WHOM CAN HELP ME HERE?

Lawyr

Reaction score
Greetings all.

EDITED...SOMEHOW POSTED TWICE...SORRY!

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
***NEW QUESTION; DOES THE BRINE TANK FILL UP AND IF SO, HOW FAR?. The brine tank fills based on how much salt you set it for. 1 gallon of water will dissolve 3 lbs of salt. If you set it for 9 lbs of salt, the unit will fill 3 gallons of water.

***NEW QUESTION; THE VALVE WAS FROZEN BUT, I WAS UNABLE TO FREE IT UP. THE PREVIOUS OWNER HAD MARKED ARROWS ON THE BYPASS VALVE. I FIGURED OUT HOW TO USE THE VALVE BUT, DOES ANYONE HAVE THE CORRECT H2O INPUT SECTION ON THE BYPASS VALVE TO BE SURE THE PREVIOUS OWNER DIDN'T SCREW UP? I WOULD HATE TO INPUT THE H20 INTO THE WRONG SECTION Are you saying the bypass was frozen? IIRC the bypass has a blue side and a red side. Push the blue side for soft water and the red for hard.

REINSTATE QUESTION; MUST I HAVE THE OUTPUT END OF THE BYPASS VALVE BLOCKED UP TO TEST AND FOR WATER TO BE FORCED THROUGH THE FILTER?It is not necessary to block the outbound side but would be better if it were. That way it can be fully pressurized.

NEW STATEMENT; ISN'T THERE ANYONE WHOM CAN HELP ME HERE?
Yes. There are a lot of people here with years of experience.

Lawyr

Reaction score
Yes. There are a lot of people here with years of experience.

...thanks for the reply, however, this must be a dead section of the forum as nobody responds to the question....are there any other forums that are "ACTIVE" and to which people respond to the questions?......either that or just plainly nobody knows how to answer my questions.....

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most of those that have years under the belt have a business to run and are on service calls...

The system that you have is no longer sold by Rainsoft... they have changed to a different type of valve.

Most likely the valve will need a rebuild as there should not be water going to the drain or brine tank if the system is in full service...

Most likely it would be cheaper to start with a new system than to try and get the one that you have up and running again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks