(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help - Rainsoft Water Softener

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

http://www.rainsoftnefl.com/AM744.pdf
    Here is a manual for the timer assembly. With a little research you might be able to find a manual for the valve.

Quote Originally Posted by mialynette2003 View Post
    http://www.rainsoftnefl.com/AM744.pdf
    Here is a manual for the timer assembly. With a little research you might be able to find a manual for the valve.

thanks for the reply however, i already have this as well as 5-8 more i downloaded some time ago....

Name:  Rainsoft valve.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  44.6 KB

Please note the two lines just behind the control head, there is the smaller that goes to the clear bottle, and then there is the larger one, that larger one is the drain and does not go to the brine tank in any way.
    Last edited by Akpsdvan; 08-18-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Please note the two lines just behind the control head, there is the smaller that goes to the clear bottle,
    I SEE 1 (ONE) SMALL LINE THAT GOES FROM CONTROL HEAD (IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY) WHICH GOES TO THE APPROX TOP OF THE CLEAR CANISTER WITH WHAT APPEARS TO BE A CHECK BALL INSIDE...THEN, OFF TO THE SIDE BOTTOM AND FROM THAT VERY SAME CANISTER, THERE IS ANOTHER LINE THAT GOES (I WAS TOLD) INTO THE BRINE TANK WHICH EVENTUALLY WINDS UP AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BRINE TANK.

and then there is the larger one,
    YES, IT IS FROM THE SIDE/BACK AREA OF THE CONTROL HEAD AND I THOUGHT THAT IT WENT INTO THE BRINE TANK. AT THIS POINT, I AM NOT SURE WHERE IT GOES EXCEPT TO UNDERSTAND THAT YOU GUYS SAY IT GOES TO "WASTE" (DRAIN).

that larger one is the drain and does not go to the brine tank in any way.
    AS ABOVE.

**TO NOTE; IF ONE 3/8'' LINE GOES FROM THE CONTROL HEAD TO THE TOP OF THE CANISTER AND ONE 3/8'' LINE GOES FROM THE BOTTOM/SIDE OF THE CANISTER AND THEN TO THE BRINE TANK, LEAVING ONLY THE HEAVIER LINE FOR WASTE AS MENTIONED, THEN, I AM MISSING SOME SORT OF A LINE FROM THE BRINE FLOAT ASSEMBLY THAT SOMEONE MENTIONED OR AM I GETTING IT MIXED UP? (IF THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE SOME SORT OF A FLOAT ASSEMBLY INSIDE THE BRINE TANK, I AM MISSING IT APPARENTLY). **TOMORROW I WILL TRY AND TAKE SOME PICTS.

Name:  HOSE2.JPG
Views: 585
Size:  28.3 KB

ok...not sure if image will come out..this is my unit.
    "a" goes to brine tank
    "b" goes to discharge (waste as you have told me)
    "c" is the output of unit to pipes for house when connected.
    **the canister never fills but, only has about 1/4-3/8 inch of liquid in it...IF THE LARGER LINE GOES TO WASTE (DRAIN) WHAT REGULATES IT?....DIDN'T SOMEONE MENTION A FLOAT ASSEMBLY HAVING TO DO WITH THIS?....I HAD IT GOING INTO THE BRINE TANK WHICH WAS FILLING UP..I THINK I HAVE TO BE SURE THAT THE RE-GEN IS SHUT OFF...MAYBE I HAVE IT RUNNING AND DON'T KNOW IT??
    Last edited by lawyr; 08-18-2011 at 06:13 PM.

The drain line often has a washer like item behind where the tube hooks on that controls the amount of water that is to flow, ie 2.0 gpm or 3.0gpm .. etc..

The float assembly in the brine tank most of the time is the back up to keep the brine tank from over flowing , nothing more. There are some that use the float assembly in the brine tank to let in only x number of gallons of water to make up the brine for the next cleaning.

double posting of reply
    Last edited by Akpsdvan; 08-18-2011 at 07:21 PM.

The drain line often has a washer like item behind where the tube hooks on that controls the amount of water that is to flow, ie 2.0 gpm or 3.0gpm .. etc..
    YES, THAT IS THERE, STILL, DON'T KNOW WHAT TURNS THAT "LINE" ON AND OFF.

The float assembly in the brine tank most of the time is the back up to keep the brine tank from over flowing , nothing more.
    WELL, ALL I SEE IS A RIGHT-ANGLED PLASTIC FITTING NEAR THE TOP THAT LOOKS LIKE IT COULD BE FOR OVER-FLOW...THAT BEING THE CASE, I WOULDN'T KNOW WHY A FLOAT DEVICE WOULD BE NECESSARY IN PART..I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW LIQUID FINDS IT'S WAY INTO THE BRINE TANK..THE ONLY HOSE I SEE THAT NOW GOES TO IT IS A SINGLE 3/8'' HOSE AS DISCUSSED AND ONLY A TOTAL OF THREE PORTS THAT CALL FOR HOSES; (1) CONTROL HEAD TO TOP OF CANISTER, (2) BOTTOM/SIDE OF CANISTER TO BRINE TANK (BOTTOM), LARGE LINE OFF SIDE OF CONTROL HEAD YOU INDICATE IS WASTE, THAT'S IT .

There are some that use the float assembly in the brine tank to let in only x number of gallons of water to make up the brine for the next cleaning.
    THIS IS WHAT CONFUSES ME..I ONLY HAVE 1 3/8'' LINE GOINT TO BOTTOM OF BRINE TANK AND I LARGE LINE DISCHARGING ONTO TEH GROUND LETS SAY...I WOULD ASSUME THAT THE 3/8'' LINE IS A SUCTION LINE OF SORTS THEN....
    Last edited by lawyr; 08-18-2011 at 07:08 PM.

It is hard to get ones mind around the idea that so many try very hard to make things harder than they are.

The brine line is a supply line to the brine tank for fresh water and it is a supply line to the media for the brine when the system is in reg mode.

Read the manual for the 5600 ..starting on page 16 there is the run down on the different parts of the cycle, now while the book is for the fleck 5600, the only difference is the Valve... yours does the same things that the Fleck does and in the same order.

It is hard to get ones mind around the idea that so many try very hard to make things harder than they are.
    GEEZ, EASY MAN...

The brine line is a supply line to the brine tank for fresh water and it is a supply line to the media for the brine when the system is in reg mode.
    WELL, NOBODY CAME OUT TO TELL ME THAT THE SINGLE 3/8'' LINE FOR THE BRINE TANK HAS A 2 FOLD FUNCTION - TO BOTH ADD WATER TO THE SALT/BRINE AND TO BE A SUCTION LINE FOR BRINE BACK TO THE SYSTEM.

Read the manual for the 5600 ..starting on page 16 there is the run down on the different parts of the cycle, now while the book is for the fleck 5600, the only difference is the Valve... yours does the same things that the Fleck does and in the same order

I need help with Rainsoft Gold system. We bought a new house 3 days ago with a Rainsoft Gold system in Bypass, I hooked up power, set every thing up filled the tank with salt and the there is no way to take it out of bypass, it uses a special tool for both sides of the valve, a flat two pronged tool to open the valves. I can't find one anywhere and there is no installer withing 100 miles. I tried a few plumbers and no joy there either. Can anyone point me to one of these tools? Thank you.

How about the handles on a pair of pliers in the grooves etc., or the end of a screw driver, a pair of channel lock pliers instead of looking for their tool?

Shut your water off, open a faucet to bleed off pressure and remove the by pass valve and reconnect the unit without the by valve?

IOWs, think outta the box. Cut a piece of metal, plywood or oak in the shape you need to operate the valve.

BTW, I've never heard of or seen any tool used for a by pass valve. If the softener started a serious leak, how would the owner by pass the unit if they needed to find a special tool first? So I don't think you need a special tool, just anything that will do it.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

I might not have the correct manual, but I found this... http://www.rainsoftnefl.com/GoldSeri...rTreatment.pdf

On page 9, it shows simply turning the two levers to allow bypass, and page 11 shows the service positions.

If this is not your system, perhaps you can find it here: http://www.rainsoftnefl.com/manuals.asp

Good luck!