Pressure Tank replacement - CSV, new pressure switch ? Several questions

Users who are viewing this thread

LeBlanc

Reaction score
Our cottage/lake house has well water service from 295 feet deep, and indications are that the pressure tank bladder has failed. We do not live there permanently, but the former owners did.

The pump cycling has increased to the point that if a toilet is flushed (1.3 gal?), the pump cycles. The WellMate 20 gallon tank shows condensation on the outside of it at about 8 inches from the floor. A friend said that means the bladder is shot. When combined with the frequent cycling, the fact that a lawn sprinkler system is also connected to the well, that we have two full bathrooms, etc., it seemed as though something needed fixing quickly. I've ignored it for two years (perhaps 25-30 days of use, and we turn the pump off when we're not there), but I'm getting more nervous that every time a faucet is opened the pump cycles.

The mechanical systems, including the water softener and pressure tank, are stored indoors in a small room (see photos). I had to keep a tank of the same diameter due to space limitations, so I purchased (online) a WellMate WM-9 30 gallon tank. Same diameter as the WM-6 that's there now, but it's taller. For those interested in a similar tank, these folks had the best price I could find, and I had it in two days: https://www.aquascience.net/wellmate-pressure-tanks/index.cfm?id=515

The instructions appear to be somewhat easy to follow (the file is too large, so here's a link): http://www.wellmate.com/pdf/Residential_CaptiveAir_Tank_Install_Manual.pdf

My questions:

1) Since I am removing the same make/manufacturer tank, with the same size and location of fittings, should I have also purchased the Tee Package to install a new Brass Tee, Check Valve, Shutoff Valve, 1" NPTM x 1" Brass Barb, Boiler Drain, Pressure Relief Valve, preset at 100 PSI, Pressure Gauge, and Pressure Switch (30/50, 40/60, 50/70 or 60/80 PSI) ? Photo of that package is also included.

It's an extra $109 that I originally thought was unnecessary, but now I wonder whether that Tee Package would normally be installed during a tank replacement?

2) How can I verify the EXACT air pressure that the tank should have before turning the power back on and charging the tank? How can I verify whether the existing pressure switch is the correct PSI? Is it likely the preset air pressure in the new tank needs to be modified, whether more or less pressure?

3) To what extent should I also consider the purchase and installation of a Cycle Stop Valve for this residential application? At about $140 to buy it, I'll invest only if it's necessary or highly recommended.

This seems like a simple replacement, and I do have a reasonable measure of mechanical skill - though not with plumbing. Any advice, suggestions, cautions, etc., will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Richard

Photos also include the label on the old tank and on the new tank.

Attachments

• Tank3.jpg
    Tank3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,402
  • Tank4.jpg
    Tank4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,275
  • Tank NEW.jpg
    Tank NEW.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 1,189
  • Tank Tee Package.jpg
    Tank Tee Package.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 4,208
  • Tank OLD.jpg
    Tank OLD.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,217

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Since you already bought a new large tank, and you use this so infrequently, you probably by passed the CSV justification. You would then have gotten a 89$ tank and saved a bit of cash even with the CSV.

You old tee is fine, [ until that leak gets bigger at the rust line] but you need a new pressure gauge pronto

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
The CSV would have given you constant pressure (like city water pressure), extended the life of your pump, tank and pressure switch. However since you have purchased a new tank you will be OK unless you're wife prefers city like pressure.

You're tank has a tire valve under the Black Cap on top to adjust the pressure in the tank. This pressure should be 2 lbs less than the cut on pressure of the pressure switch. This should be set when there is no pressure on the system. The pressure switch should adjusted to your preferred cut out pressure as indicated by the pressure guage. Most people perfer a 40/60 setting meaning the switch will cut on at 40 lbs and off at 60 lbs. This means that the tank pressure should be set at 38 lbs when there is no pressure on the system.
NOTE: In todays systems it is recommended that there should be only a check valve at the pump and none near the tank (as shown in the photo).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks