toilet to urinal rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

samlin7

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am looking to see if we can change the toilet we have now in a commercial church building into a urinal. The reason is because it is like a closet and men literally need to straddle the toilet to take a leak.

We are going to talk down some walls but there is still no way i can expand that room, we had volunteer achitects that recommended that we just make it an urinal.

How would I change the plumbing so that I make it into a urinal (is it 3" to a 2" pipe?) Anybody has experience with this? All I'm worried about is the drain pipe, supply line is easy for me to reroute.

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most modern urinals are wall-hung, so the drain line is probably the bigger issue. It will depend on how the pipe runs, and the wall construction (and maybe the floor as well). For a toilet, the code requirement is 15" either side of the center. Not sure about a urinal. You're grandfathered now, but if you change it, you have to meet current code. Probably best to look at the instructions on-line for one you may be interested in. While the requirements may be similar, they are not all identical.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If you have to comform to the ADA code this is what you need:

>>>Urinals.
Height. Urinals may be stall type extending to the floor or wall mounted. If wall
mounted, the rim of the urinal must be no more than 17 inches above the floor.
Clear Floor Space. A clear floor space 30 inches by 48 inches must be provided
for forward approach to the urinal and must be centered on the fixture. Privacy
shields which do not project beyond the front edge of the urinal may be provided
with 29 inches of clearance between them.<<<

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Both Kohler and American Standard make floor mounted urinals. Their drain is 8.5" from the wall. No idea what size. It appears that you'd need to install a trap underneath, as there's no room for one in the thing. They both list for over $1k, but are available for less. You may need a Flushometer valve, and you may not have a large enough water supply line to support it. A wall-hung would likely be less expensive, but a regular toilet would be even less.

Dcelite

Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.merchantcircle.com
A wall hung urinal will take a 2" drain. If the existing toilet vent is directly behind the urinal you can cut in a 2" tapped san tee. After the wall is closed up, you install the urinal flange with a threaded nipple usually 1/4" off the finished wall. Put backing in the wall for the wall hung bracket.

samlin7

Reaction score
I was looking into the urinal that goes to the floor, for the children, but in the end we decided to go with the wall mount.

I guess it doesn't look to hard to do, if there is a vent right there. If not, and If i need to tap off the toilet drain pipe, do i cut off the flange portion and use a no hub reducer?

Asktom

Reaction score
The 3/4" water supply for the flush valve may turn into a bigger issue than the drain.

JeffeVerde

Reaction score
I don't know where you can still use one, those and exposed trap models were banned in all the areas I'm familiar with. :confused:

Have you got a code section on that, Shacko? American-Standard and Kohler still both sell floor units, and I'm sure I've seen new installs within the last couple years.

Personally, I really like the looks of the Kohler Steward S urinal - I'd even go so far as to call it sexy :). I'm trying to figure how I can rearrange things to put one in my bathroom. Maybe I can hang it in the shower lol
21Q9Nug1KAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks