McCafee Is Useless!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Kiko

Reaction score
I have an AT&T DSL that came with McCafee Security Suite, and my computer has more bugs than the Amazon rain forest. Every time I do a google search, I get redirected to other sites. My task manager has been disabled, my registry has been corrupted.

I've used system restore, but the bugs seem to follow me back in time. I've also tried various trial versions of other antivirus and anti spyware software, with little success: AVG, Ad-Aware, Super AntiSpyware, Spyware Doctor. I've also switched browsers from Internet Explorer to Firefox, but that doesn't help.

Any suggestions on how to get rid of these bugs. I'd prefer freeware, since I don't have much money to spend on this.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Hi,

My knowledge of computers is so basic or I would had answered your post. But, I do have some problems with mine and if the occasion should come about I will try it. I hope yours is working better. Cookie

Kiko

Reaction score
I also found this free program that cleaned up my registry and seems to make my computer run faster called "360 Amigos."

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not to muddy the waters, but yet another free anti virus program is Avira Antivirus Personal. Also available in a paid version with a few more features most home users don't need. It has stopped several potential "invaders" and is updated frequently. As far as cleaning up and speeding up your computer, I recently was ready to buy a new hard drive because my computer was just crawling! My son suggest we (he) save vital data then wipe the memory and reinstall windows. It's a time consuming job, took us the better part of 2 working days in his office, but I still can not believe the difference! Loading is lightning fast. The bulk of the time consisted of downloading and installing all of the upgrades that Windows XP Pro came out with since I bought the program shortly after it came out. You do have to have the original legal program to do this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My initial feeling is that "free" programs are worth exactly what you pay for them unless you purchase the "real" version of them. Paying for a good software program may actually save more time AND money, than a free one would.

Kiko

Reaction score
I don't mind paying once for a program, but I don't like having to pay every year to keep it going, especially when there are a lot of free ones that seem to do the job. I just discovered another one called "malware bytes" that found even more infections and removed them. And this program is free forever.

I'll look into this Avira program as well.

4creation

Reaction score
If you're repeatedly getting "bugs" the problem isn't your anti-virus software. It's the settings you use when browsing the web. My advice is to set up your browser to reject 3rd party cookies and that should take care of a lot of your problems. Those third party cookies are allowed by default and often allow websites to install tracking applications on your computer. Basically turning that setting off will prevent the installation of those applications.

Kiko

Reaction score
Thanks, I just set up IE to block third party cookies. However, since I installed other programs beside McAfee, I haven't had any bugs.

My favorite totally free packages are:

Antivirus: Avira
Anti-spyware/Anti-Malware: Malware Bytes
Registry Cleaner: 360 Amigo

All the other programs I tried either didn't work, weren't totally free, slowed down my computer too much, or had annoying pop-ups.

Thanks to all who responded.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks