Frost proof Hose Bib Valve clogged

Users who are viewing this thread

JimJy

Reaction score
We just moved into this house and I tried to use the hose bib, but there was hardly any flow coming from it. I blocked off the end of the hose connection with the palm of my hand and let pressure build up and then released and some junk came out of it. Did this a bunch more times to include using my thumb and more stuff came out but the water flow is still about the same. Could some bug have built a home in there? I am not to thrilled to remove it, but is there something else I can try?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Make sure that it is not leaking into the wall of the house when you turn it on. Someone may have left a hose on it during a freeze, and the pipe is split, preventing full flow from getting to the outside. There are a few designs of frost-free silcocks that will drain regardless of whether there's a hose left on or not, but most will fail if you leave the hose on during a freeze. if it is leaking into the house, the only fix is to replace it.

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
If you have a inside shut-off for the hose bib turn it off, go out to the bib and unscrew the large nut on it and pull the shaft out, look at the bottom of the shaft at the washer to see if it is damaged, if so replace.

Go back in to you shut-off valve and turn the water on with the shaft out (make shure nobody is standing there) if you get a good flow you have solved your problem, replace shaft.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks